Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CV Half shaft replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2005, 04:53 AM
Default CV Half shaft replacement

Hi all,

I have a 1999 A6. FOr couple of weeks my Brake light ("(O)") was on. So, today I went to MIDAS to check why the warning light is lit. He said I have a broken half shaft (Front right ) and that caused the sensor wire to break and hence the light. He gave me quote of 500 + Labor. $500 for right CV half shaft sounds a lot. Any suggestions?? I live in Chicago suburbs, Could anyone suggest any good repair shops / mechanic.

I searched the forums, but couldn't find any store selling $500 ish sounding CV half shaft assembly.

I found this link for half shaft, but couldn't tell if that's the one MIDAS is quoting for $500.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/cata...IengineID=2433

Old 05-29-2005, 04:32 AM
Default RE: CV Half shaft replacement

Help Pls. Experts ??

Old 05-31-2005, 03:28 PM
1st Gear

Can't imagine your car is moving with a broken CV shaft. Half shaft runs from the tranny to wheels and holds the two CV joints (inner and outer). Try raxles.com ask for Marty, he'll set you straight. Try under $200 for a complete shaft and inner /outer CV joints. By the way, after getting what you need from raxles.com look for a different shop to do the install. That guy is a criminal. You might even want to get other opinions on what's wrong. Like I said hard to believe the car even moves with broken half shaft.

Old 05-31-2005, 05:47 PM

Thank you, I've sent an inquiry to raxles.com . I too wonder if its really broken. What if it really is.. is my worry. I'll have this checked out by some other shop and see if they say the same thing.

ORIGINAL: Mums

Can't imagine your car is moving with a broken CV shaft. Half shaft runs from the tranny to wheels and holds the two CV joints (inner and outer). Try raxles.com ask for Marty, he'll set you straight. Try under $200 for a complete shaft and inner /outer CV joints. By the way, after getting what you need from raxles.com look for a different shop to do the install. That guy is a criminal. You might even want to get other opinions on what's wrong. Like I said hard to believe the car even moves with broken half shaft.

Old 06-08-2005, 04:23 PM

I've got a split CV boot and I've been told that I need to replace my shaft shaft. The problem is, is that I have a 1998 A6 quattro sedan, and I'm unable to find the chassis number because there was a mid year split in the model line.

Anyone able to help me find the right half shaft for my car?