B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Transmission issue question

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 11:58 AM
1st Gear
Default Transmission issue question

Hello all,

I'm trying to figure out if this is serious or a quick fix:

Car: 2000 Audi A4 B5 Quattro; automatic; US spec

At around 30-40mph, while accelerating, I let off the gas pedal for a second, then press the gas pedal hard again. The transmission hesitates (I believe to downshift) for at least a second, then jerks the car rather hard and makes a thumping sound. This is very new, car's never done it before.

The gears shift up and down rather normally otherwise (when I'm not giving it the beans), but I don't really know what is normal since I have never driven another A4.

Any suggestions/thoughts will be much appreciated!

Thanks,
Maciej

Old 03-12-2012, 12:11 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by mtp9
Hello all,

I'm trying to figure out if this is serious or a quick fix:

Car: 2000 Audi A4 B5 Quattro; automatic; US spec

At around 30-40mph, while accelerating, I let off the gas pedal for a second, then press the gas pedal hard again. The transmission hesitates (I believe to downshift) for at least a second, then jerks the car rather hard and makes a thumping sound. This is very new, car's never done it before.

The gears shift up and down rather normally otherwise (when I'm not giving it the beans), but I don't really know what is normal since I have never driven another A4.

Any suggestions/thoughts will be much appreciated!

Thanks,
Maciej
So you accelerate, lift off, then mash the throttle, and your transmission gets confused. Can't say that I blame it. The thing is, many (most? all?) automatic transmissions get confused if you tease them in that way.

I'm not saying you don't have a problem, but what your transmission is doing sounds pretty normal to me.

Old 03-12-2012, 02:38 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by shipo
So you accelerate, lift off, then mash the throttle, and your transmission gets confused. Can't say that I blame it. The thing is, many (most? all?) automatic transmissions get confused if you tease them in that way.

I'm not saying you don't have a problem, but what your transmission is doing sounds pretty normal to me.
+1...

Old 03-12-2012, 07:21 PM
1st Gear

although not usually listed changing auto tranny fluid + filter is a very GOOD ting to do, some garages have a machine that sux it all out and refills it completely converter + all, pay a little now or a LOT $$$$ later

Old 03-13-2012, 04:53 AM
2nd Gear

Ummm...There is nothing "NORMAL" about a automatic transmission jerking hard.

I'm pretty sure your tranny is either on its way out or your transmission fluid is low or needs to be changed/topped off.

I had the same issue last year with my automatic,it wasn't the fluid or the transmission control module but a mechanical issue,my tranny could not shift into the 4th or 5th gear.

The symptoms that you are having,is exactly what my 2001 A4 B5 1.8T Automatic was doing,it would shift from 1st,2nd and then 3rd but whenever it tried to shift to 4th,it would jerk the car hard.

I actually drove it in 3rd gear via tiptronic mode for a few months,until i got my income tax return,that i used to pay for a used tranny with 70.000 miles on it,installed it cost my 1000.00 for the tranny and 400.00 to install.

1,488.00 total which is a steal to replace a quattro tranny on a Audi,not to mention i paid 5,300.00 for her back in 2009. it was a good decision not to give up on her,she's been running right as rain,ever since.

I am getting her timing belt done,the whole control arm suspension system replaced,valve cover gasket replaced,new ngk spark plugs,air filter,replacing all vacuum lines and hoses,new shocks all around and both rear wheel bearings,all the fluids flushed and replaced(even the rear differential fluid ) and after i'm done with all that,shes taking a trip to my auto body guy and getting a few pain and body touch ups.

I also did some work on the interior too,got a new onyx leather Arm rest lid and cup holder/fog light and hazard light bezel replaced,looks mint in the car now.

The only thing left to do in the interior is the gear selector bezel and the area where the cigarette ash tray pops out,both of these areas are scratched up and looks ugly.

I wish i knew where to get those for replacement or someone know how to repair them?

She'll be running and looking good for the summer time.

Get someone to check the tranny fluid level,if its low,have it flushed and have fresh tranny fluid put in.

Now it could be your Transmission control module,check that also.

The TCM controls your tranny,that could be wet from rain or just be on the fritz. the TCM is under your passenger side floor.

Good luck...

Last edited by morpheous; 03-13-2012 at 04:01 PM.
Old 03-13-2012, 12:18 PM
1st Gear
Default Thanks!

Ok, thanks so much for the input! I'm also not ready to give up on my A4, so I have to expect to pay up, either for a major tune-up or a new/rebuilt transmission. Oh well.

Old 01-30-2018, 12:33 PM
1st Gear

Any source on where to find the parts? I have Audi A4 2009 need to replace the control unit which is going to cost me $5800 its too damn expensive and i really can't afford at the moment its also out of warranty. Please help me find this parts I really don't wanna give up on her.

Last edited by winnieT; 01-30-2018 at 12:35 PM.
Old 01-30-2018, 01:05 PM
2nd Gear