B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

weird central locking dilemma.

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 12:04 AM
1st Gear
Default weird central locking dilemma.

ok i feel like a moron here because I bought this car thinking it wouldn't be to difficult but the most random things keep happening. my keyless entry on my switchblade master key stopped working. Tried using the spare master since its barely used and thats not working either changed the batteries no go. so I brought it to the dealer to ask about reprogramming the keys incase losing battery meant losing programming like a univeral remote control for a TV.

I was told when they hooked it up to their computer that there is no problems with the keys. when they hooked it up to the the computer they said it held the code for about 2 seconds then it disappeared.

Now I don't know much about central locking so I researched it. said it was a vacuum system that operates the locks and a couple other random things. so that now makes sense to me. but all the issues people are having with them is usually it works slowly or not at all. my remotes are the only thing not working. if i stick the key in the tumbler it works wonderfully same as when i open just the drivers door and hit the button everything works great. trunk opens no problem and no issues with the alarm or windows or anything electrical having to do with that key cylinder. Now I fear electrical because that is a pain to diagnose.

if anyone has had a similar problem or knows anything to try past this point let me know. does this system work off UHF frequency or FM frequencies. or if there is a antenna somewhere that i can see if there is a busted connection at this point im lost.

Thanks in advance

Old 03-23-2009, 09:05 AM
Default vacuum prob

i have a similar problem with my locks. for some reason my power locks will not work, either with the key or the interior button. i have a print out of the locations of the vacuum pump and lines but cant get past the panel in the trunk to get to them. any ideas?

Old 03-23-2009, 12:51 PM
1st Gear

my power locks didnt work so i went to barrier audi and they said a vent in the bumper had let water into the trunk and flooded the central locking module so they drained it and quoted me over 600 bucks to replace it. but shortly after the door locks started to work again(guess they dried out enough) but my clicker has never worked o i recently went to the dealer and they said it had to do with the central locking module being flooded and it doesnt completely work like new

Old 03-26-2009, 02:53 PM
1st Gear

same problem with me. lock wont work at all, alarm doesnt work, and my windows dont work. if you go on ebay they are selling central locking systems for cheep. it is easy to instal sence i have already taken mine apart and put it back in. just make sure that your pump and the one you buy has the same serial number. after you put the new one in you will either have to take your car in to get the keys programed or look up how to do it yourself. Good luck.

Old 03-26-2009, 08:34 PM
5th Gear

here's the diy i usually use when i program the keys. http://www.audiworld.com/tech/misc.html

if you can't do it, come visit us in binghamton and i'll do it for you lol. plus i have vag com so i might be able to do something with that.

Old 08-30-2012, 08:03 PM
1st Gear

i am having the same problem but mine might be a little worse. I bought a second key on ebay got it cut, went online to find a write up about how to program them so i followed the steps, Then everything went bad. when i pressed my lock button on my remote (twice to lock both front and back) the cars alarm never went on and the remote no longer worked so i had to reprogram it because when i stuck the key in the door it only unlocked the drivers door nothing else (same with the masters and the one i just bought)
I reprogrammed just one key this time, Still the same results. I am puzzled on what i should do. If anyone has a small write up or knows what to do please tell me. I can't lock my car or set the alarm even when i press the interior lock and unlock. any help would be great