B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

A4 B6 8H Electrical Gremlins

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2018, 09:01 AM
1st Gear
Default A4 B6 8H Electrical Gremlins

Hello all. I've owned d my A4 B6 8H Cabriolet with a 3.0 V6 coupled to a CVT for about half a year now. Just paid it off this week. Got it for a steal of a price with the caveat of there being some issues. The biggest one I fixed earlier in the year which was the rear windshield coming unglued. Replaced the top and all is well there.

Right now I've got some electrical problems. I have a sneaking suspicion what it may be but without contaminating suggestions I'd like to know options. Before you ask VAGCOM isn't an option as I have a monitoring device installed to lower insurance and I cannot unplug it.

Also all fuses have been tested and are in working order.

The problems I have are as follows:

1. Intermittent function of the auto dimming rear view mirror. Some days it will works others it does not.

2. No power windows. When I had first gotten it the passenger side window would bump up a little after closing but even that has stopped.

3. Soft top does not go down. When using the switch the error "Soft top cannot be used" pops on the center cluster display.

4. Previously an alarm would go off any time the trunk was opened but that has since stopped.

5. No interior overhead cabin lights aside from the two small LEDs in the top bar.

6. Could be a fault with the FOB itself but remote locking doesn't work either.

Old 05-30-2018, 06:58 PM
1st Gear

Just about all of that relates to your convenience control module. But your comment about VAG-COM; how does the insurance company expect an emission control technician, or any mechanic for that matter, to check the systems on the data bus? I would call them about that, there must be allowance for using the OBD port, besides for a "monitoring device".

VAG-COM would likely point you towards whatever isn't working.

Old 05-30-2018, 07:12 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by turbo510
Just about all of that relates to your convenience control module. But your comment about VAG-COM; how does the insurance company expect an emission control technician, or any mechanic for that matter, to check the systems on the data bus? I would call them about that, there must be allowance for using the OBD port, besides for a "monitoring device".

VAG-COM would likely point you towards whatever isn't working.

That's about what I was thinking too.

Concerning the monitoring device it has to stay in no ifs ands or butts until the end of the monitoring window. Disconnection for any reason voids it.