B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

Boost Leak, I'm at a loss!

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 12:58 PM
1st Gear
Unhappy Boost Leak, I'm at a loss!

Ok, here's my issue. I have a bad leak somewhere so I took it to the mechanic. He said he smoke tested the entire system and couldn't find any leaks, so we came to the conclusion that it was the DV. I replaced the DV with a Forge SPLTR yesterday and I'm still leaking boost, just not as bad now. Before, my car would peak at about 10psi and then settle at about 7. Now, it peaks at about 14 and settles at 10 or 11psi. With the Neuspeed chip, I was peaking at about 19psi and settling at 17.

I have checked all the lines that I can see, but can't see anything out of the ordinary. Are there any other things I could check that you guys know of.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Old 12-06-2008, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by Myst420
Ok, here's my issue. I have a bad leak somewhere so I took it to the mechanic. He said he smoke tested the entire system and couldn't find any leaks, so we came to the conclusion that it was the DV. I replaced the DV with a Forge SPLTR yesterday and I'm still leaking boost, just not as bad now. Before, my car would peak at about 10psi and then settle at about 7. Now, it peaks at about 14 and settles at 10 or 11psi. With the Neuspeed chip, I was peaking at about 19psi and settling at 17.

I have checked all the lines that I can see, but can't see anything out of the ordinary. Are there any other things I could check that you guys know of.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Check the suction jet pump. They fail a lot. And also get a description of exactly how the mechanic did his "smoke test". Especially what PSI he went up to, and if he checked all vaccuum lines and the suction jet pump.

Old 12-06-2008, 07:44 PM
I'm make believe

The dv could be set to soft still

Old 12-06-2008, 08:18 PM
1st Gear

I was thinkin that too, because when I first installed it I was only boostin 4psi. But I tightened it down and it would only hold at 11 or so. That's why I was thinkin it was something else other than the DV.

Old 12-06-2008, 08:24 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by bustanut
Check the suction jet pump. They fail a lot. And also get a description of exactly how the mechanic did his "smoke test". Especially what PSI he went up to, and if he checked all vaccuum lines and the suction jet pump.
Isn't the suction jet pump used to move fuel within the tank? I haven't noticed any differences in boost whether I have a full tank of gas or if I'm on E (which I try to avoid)

Old 12-07-2008, 11:35 AM

No, suction jet pump is the weird looking hose/elbow assembly right on the top of the firewall-end of the intake manifold. It's basically, in simplest terms, a brake booster mooching off the boost.
Before it goes out fully, it will only leak in small enough amounts that you lose a little boost, but on visual inspection, you won't see a thing.
Later on, however, it can split and it will separate and is easy to spot, if you know to look for it. It is pretty common; more so in higher boost applications. Search on AZ and you'll see a ton of threads on it.

Old 12-07-2008, 08:53 PM
1st Gear

bustanut, I think you may have nailed it!! I searched AZ and read a little about pump, then when I checked it, the pump was fine, BUT the hose connecting it to the manifold had a crack in the bottom of it that I had missed before. So that kinda makes me wonder about the mechanic and his smoke check. I taped it up for my trip home (I was at the in-laws) and I noticed a little difference. I will be changing the hose tomorrow and I'll let you know if that solves my problem.

THANKS MAN!!