B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

UPDATED.. rough, stuttering kind of idle and revs?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 02:20 PM
1st Gear
Default UPDATED.. rough, stuttering kind of idle and revs?

I think the smell is something different. I had a friend plug it in today and it is not showing any codes.?? Strange. He though maybe something is clogged but I have no idea. It is just like a slight stuttering hesitation but the power is still just about right.

Any thoughts???

PS...all coil pack have been replaced. Plus that would throw some codes.

Original msg.
I am just over 100k on my 03 i.8t qt. For a few years now I have noticed a smell whenever I stop after driving long distances. Like 4 hours or so. Kind of like a burning oil smell I guess.

I have never noticed any leaks and I still don't but I am noticing the smell more often now even after short 15 - 20 mile highway trips. Obviously it is occurring more when the car is hot. i.e driving hard. Anyway, today I was on my way home after some spirited driving on the highway and I noticed at the stop light that it was idling a bit rough. Not much, but I can feel a vibration throughout the car that is linked to engine rpms. It seems to drive ok but maybe a slight lack of power. Like when it is really hot out and you get a bit less power from the turbo. That is the way it feels.

There is no CEL on but I can tell that something is not right. Maybe not related at all to the slight smell but I thought I would check here. Searched but haven't found anything that sounds the same. Please let me know what you think.

Old 05-14-2011, 03:19 PM
Tech Certified

Vacuum leaks..... will cause performance issues, rough idle and most likely not throw a CEL unless they are in a certain spot

Your cam tensioner seal is probably leaking.... it drip down the back of the head and on to the exhaust