B7 Models Please discuss all 2005.5 - 2008 B7 A4 topics here...

Audi tech , reason for oil usage

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 02:27 AM
1st Gear

these 2.0T motors are 2 stroke I am curious if the people that are burning (or putting oil in turbo tubes or where ever) are passing emissions. I just bought an 07 2.0T Quattro 6spd S-Line and after 1000 miles by me, it doesn't appear to have burned any noticeable amount. When I smogged it (Cali Smog *****) it passed with flying colors.

Old 10-27-2010, 05:50 PM
1st Gear

I've been reading a lot of forums and doing as much research as my time permits into the oil consumption problem I'm having with my 2007 A4 2.0T.

It's odd to hear some users in these forums state that this is just a 'user error' problem caused by people not taking care of their cars. I guess, what I'm trying to figure out is, what can I do about this problem?

I bought my 2007 A4 in December 2009 as a Certified Pre-Owned. As this is my first Audi, I figured the CPO warranty would be nice to have since I was somewhat unfamiliar with the potential problems the car/brand might have. I have to admit I was surprised when my oil was low after only a month of owning a 'Certified' car.

Since I bought the car I've used Mobil 1 0W-40 full syntetic oil and my latest record has me at 634 miles from 'Max to Min' mark on the dip stick. (A little less than a quart of oil.)

The dealer finally agreed to service it under warranty and today replaced the valve cover. From what I've read, a bad valve cover would only cause oil leak/seep, which I haven't had any smoke coming from the engine area, and absolutely no oil on my garage floor.

My emissions are coming due soon and I'll see how it does, but my exhaust tips are alway soot black shortly after I clean them. (I clean them every time I clean my car... I know OCD.) A friend of mine who has rebuilt several cars, said I should check the exhaust tips after driving for about 3 hours and see how dirty they are then. The logic being that short drives around town don't allow the exhaust system to heat enough to burn off the residue. So, on my last visit to my in-laws I checked the exaust after 3.5 hours of highway driving and sure enough they were again soot black, which indicates that my 'missing' oil is indeed coming out the tail pipe and not some other leak.

Hopefully this info is helpful to someone. Please let me know if you have any comments or advice. Thanks!

Old 10-28-2010, 09:57 AM
1st Gear
Default Oil Consumption and Exhaust Soot

Fered:

At a quart in less than 700 miles, you do have wha I would call "a problem", but it might be addressable. To begin, please make sure you are using "European Formula" Mobil 1. Have your dealer look at you PCV system, it might be a little too active under vaccum.

As for the soot on the exhaust pipes, mine does the same thing and I do not have an oil consumption problem. Every Audi I look at seems to show this condition, which is caused, I think, by a rich mixture at start up and idle.

Dan

Old 10-29-2010, 12:30 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Audi Dan
At a quart in less than 700 miles, you do have wha I would call "a problem", but it might be addressable. To begin, please make sure you are using "European Formula" Mobil 1. Have your dealer look at you PCV system, it might be a little too active under vaccum.
Dan
Thanks for the advice on checking the PCV system. I'll be looking into it and post the results.
I do use the 'European Car Formula' 0W-40 Mobil 1.

Thanks again.

Old 07-19-2014, 08:24 PM
1st Gear
Exclamation Frustrated

We bought a 50,000 Audi a5 because we expected to keep it for many years. At 3,000 miles the ac went out causing a huge repair to a new car. Later a 600 door latch and numerous other flaws over the vehicles life

We started to put in synthetic oil every 1,000 miles. The dealer said that was normal. We had the dealer conduct an oil consumption test After 68,000 miles and 23 quarts of oil beyond oil changes we are frustrated.

We are now getting 200 miles per quart

Do I trade it in do I have the motor repaired.

I am kind of embarrassed to have believed Audi was a good car...

Thoughts?

Old 07-20-2014, 11:37 PM
1st Gear

if you did an oil consumption test then and you are currently at 200 per 1k miles how did you ever pass the test without remark????

It's hard to believe your post is legit with what you said. Your cylinders or piston rings must be shot. A person in your condition should call up Audi of America asap and get it sorted out. They will most likely help you, but as far as how much you'd have to have everything documented and go through hoops. Don't go through the dealership, go through AofA. The dealerships are their to make money and work on warrantied vehicles. You got pushed over. There are many people that have some sort of help and even people that get rebuilt engines comped.
Audi Customer Service - Contact Audi | Audi USA
Good luck.

Old 07-21-2014, 09:22 AM
1st Gear

At 1 quart at 1,500 miles, which I thought was not real bad, Audi of America and my dealer said it failed their tests. They replaced the rings and pcv, over 10,000 miles later, it uses about a half quart in 5,000 miles.

Get your car to a reputable dealer or call Audi of America.

Old 06-15-2017, 01:22 AM
1st Gear

a things to consider. i took a intercooler tube off and thats where a quart goes in mine every 1000 miles. mostly from my turbo seal and some from the breather. i disconnected the breather and put a catch in to see how much was coming from the vent to the turbo for about a week or so. teaspoon or so every 10 to 20 miles give or take. it did create a vaccum leak and check enging light. the idea that a new breather tube with check valve fixes it makes no sense to me. when the turbo is spooled up and opens the check valve and draws more than the engine can vacum on other end of the intake. so a check valve is a moot point. oil is going in the turbo or not check valve or not. i have taken the valve cover off and inspected it. cant see any flaws. but i as afraid to look into baffel sytem in there but blew and suck on the ports and all seemed well. i will say the pcv vaccum is alot on this car. pull the oil cap off while running and it stumbles sucking extra air into the intake from the pcv while the valve cover is ventilated.. thats serious vacumm dependency. my conclusion that some have ring issues, some is suck in the turbo throughh the rear pcv breather, some weeps out of the turbo on the cool side of the turbo under pressure, and some is still in vapor form being recombusted into the main intake pcv.

Last edited by akiracornell; 06-15-2017 at 01:33 AM.
Old 01-26-2018, 03:13 PM
1st Gear

I bought a 2011 A5 Quattro 2.0T with 65K. I also use 0w40 Mobil 1 and I am going through a lot of oil. I do not see any oil on the garage floor, but it is inside the cover under the motor. I have not found where it is coming from. I also see a lot of soot on the garage floor just past the tailpipe. So I guess that I am using some and leaking some. I hate that the car did not come with a dip stick. I like to check my oil when the car is cold not hot, and you can't do it with this model. I had to file the drain plug whole to get it to stop leaking. A lot of people are having this problem with the 2.0T. I love the car. The A5 has nice body style.
Tony