B8 Models Please discuss all 2009+ B8 A4 topics here...

Oil low reading after oil change

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 10:10 PM
1st Gear
Default Oil low reading after oil change

I just got my car back from its 45,000 mile service, which according to the paperwork included an oil change. However, when I started driving and checked the oil indicator it already showed the level as almost half between max and min. Exactly where it was before i dropped it off at the dealer. Could it be that no oil change was performed at all? I find it hard to believe they would lie (it is a reputable dealership), but I am worried they didn't change the oil. I am very sensitive to oil issues since the stage 2 rebuild of the engine was just performed not long ago due to the oil burning issue.

Old 07-26-2013, 08:21 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by SiliconValleyA4
I just got my car back from its 45,000 mile service, which according to the paperwork included an oil change. However, when I started driving and checked the oil indicator it already showed the level as almost half between max and min. Exactly where it was before i dropped it off at the dealer. Could it be that no oil change was performed at all? I find it hard to believe they would lie (it is a reputable dealership), but I am worried they didn't change the oil. I am very sensitive to oil issues since the stage 2 rebuild of the engine was just performed not long ago due to the oil burning issue.
If you have a 2009 or newer the trick I would use is take a sharpie and write the date on the oil filter. Then you will be able to tell if it has been changed. The earlier models you are at the mercy of the dealer telling the truth. I would take the car back and ask the service manager why the oil level is the same as when I bought the car in. Also what color is the oil. Does it look clear or is it black. Challenge the dealer and request them to redo the oil change on their dime.

Old 08-08-2013, 06:12 PM
1st Gear

Call them on it. It costs nothing extra to have them double check. The oil level should read full if the change was performed- there is no reason that it should be any less.