B8 Models Please discuss all 2009+ B8 A4 topics here...

Trade A4 2010 with oil consumption issues and engine work or keep it?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2012, 10:49 PM
1st Gear
Default Trade A4 2010 with oil consumption issues and engine work or keep it?

I got a great deal on my A4 Premium Plus w/ Nav, it was in service at the dealer, I got it six months old, 7K miles . I have had oil consumption issues since the FIRST WEEK I owned it - purchased May 2010 - now I'm at around 45K miles. I have had multiple oil consumption tests. About 3 months ago I had a big problem and put 4 quarts of oil in and the light wouldn't go off, so I took it in, they ran part 1 of the oil consumption test (again) this time they tightened some valves, then about a month later, I took it in for the 45K mile service - I hadn't put any oil in the car, the light had just come on and they ran part 2 of the oil consumption test and told me that I needed to have new pistons installed (they were ordered - install delayed by hurricane). So I picked up the car on Monday and on Friday, after driving 1 mile I got a warning that my oil pressure was low and to shut off my engine. Fortunately I live close to the dealer and took it right in. They claim it's a failed oil pressure switch and they'll be able to replace it in a few days.

Now that I've had fairly major engine work, should I just trade this in for something like an Acura TSX or hang on to it?

This is my dream car but I worry that it's going to turn into a money pit that will be devalued because the oil consumption problems and engine work will show up on CarFax.

What do you think? Would you hold or fold?

Old 11-23-2012, 11:14 PM
Administrator

It sounds like you have a lemon. Which engine do you have?

Did you have those work done under warranty?

Old 11-23-2012, 11:29 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by kriptonik

I have the 2.0 - Premium plus. I purchased certified previously owned so I have warranty to 93K miles, this work has been done under warranty.

I don't believe I can avail myself of the lemon law in NJ, it is over 2 years old with over 24K miles.

I was putting in 4-5 quarts between oil changes from the beginning. I questioned oil consumption early on and demanded the test, I was told that it exceeded Audi standards at that time.

I think the only way I get to maintain value in the car is if they give me a new engine to fix the problem

Old 11-24-2012, 12:04 PM
1st Gear

Since you have it under warrantee sit tight. Piston & rings amount to a new motor. You can always sell it if the piston & rings don't fix the oil consumption issue or your still unhappy with the car. Pistons & rings fixed my problems.

Old 11-24-2012, 03:11 PM
Administrator

^ pretty much what he said. 4-5 quarts seem excessive tho. Do you see any smoke coming out of the tail pipes?

BTW FSures - where in Monrovia are you?

Old 11-24-2012, 06:37 PM
1st Gear

On W. Greystone. 213-304-8777

Old 11-30-2012, 08:12 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by kriptonik

If you've taken the car in for oil consumption tests and passed then you most certainly do not have a lemon (techs can detect a lemon). You have a regular B8 Audi A4. I have the same issue with my car. no black smoke coming from the car, no oil leaking in the garage. the oil just gets consumed. There are loads of threads out there about this.

I have to add a quart of oil every 1500 miles. I too have passed the oil consumption test and been told my car is within spec. i've just dealt with it to now and bit the bullet purchasing a bunch of oil to keep stocked in my garage.

My strategy is to continue to get consumption tests and hopefully my car fails and the piston rings get replaced for free.

i guess its ultimately personal preference. if its too much trouble for you, dump the car for an Acura or Infiniti, which are typically much more reliable than German premium cars. Cant go wrong with BMW 3 series, also check out Cadillac ATS which is going to be really good. but if its not too bad, then bite the bullet like the rest of use, and buy oil in bulk. what can i say, i love my car.

Old 12-01-2012, 09:24 AM
1st Gear

It would be considered close to a new engine. I have not seen any post from people who have purchased a brand new car with what they are getting for oil consumption. We all know they use oil but to what degree. Our used 09 uses 1-1 1/2 quarts per 5000 miles. Although I don't like this it is acceptable. Our 07 used a quart every 1200 miles. We traded it in and it was listed as a CPO car. So I would keep it until it started using more then a quart per 5000 miles and then trade it in. good luck

Old 10-19-2013, 01:50 PM
1st Gear
Question Keep adding oil or repair audi a4

Seems like a lot of people have had issues with excessive audi a4 oil consumption. My 2009 a4 started using 1 qt for every 600 miles at 52,000 miles.

Is it ok to simply keep adding the oil as needed rather than pay for an expensive repair?

Has anyone done this? If yes for how many miles?

Thanks

Old 10-19-2013, 07:31 PM
1st Gear
Default oil cumsumption

I also purchased a used A4 Prem Plus with Nav that had 16000km abd had the same oil problem. I went thru the oil consumption tests and they finally repl the PVC valve....now it is a year and a half later and all is still ok.

This is also my dream car.