Classic Audi A section to discuss the models that have made Audi famous of the years...

help 88 audi 90 quattro wont start :-/

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 12:44 PM
Default help 88 audi 90 quattro wont start :-/

so i got this car about a week and a half ago and i drove it home about 45 miles. i made it home but it was rough about the last 20 miles. whenever i tried to accelerate too hard it would lose power and start to sputter. the car sat for about 2 years before i bought it, other then the guy driving it about 1/4 mile down the road every couple or months, and before i drove it home i put about 6 gallons of premium gas in it and a new battery. i was able to make it to the gas station which was about 5 miles away on the gas in it. when i got it back i replaces the fuel filter, the spark plugs, and the starter. i checked the oil and it is way above the full mark so im going to try changing the oil and putting some more gas in it.

so the main thing is, it would start, idle fine, and even rev up perfectly before i changed the fuel filter. im wondering if i got air in the fuel lines when i changed the filter and how i would go about getting it out? or if it could be something else and that was just a coincidence?

Old 05-23-2009, 01:09 PM

ok so we cracked a fuel line before the fpr and some gas sprayed out and we cracked a few of the 5 lines coming from the fuel distributor and tried starting it and nothing came out. so it is not getting gas which explains why it cranks but wont turn over. my buddy who used to work as a subaru mechanic is helping me out with this and he said the fpr seems to be fine but it could either be the fuel distributor or a maf or some other sensor. but he never really worked with the fuel distributors so hes not quite sure. is there some place to start or could it be any one of these just as much as the other?

Old 05-25-2009, 05:38 PM

i would gues that its not anything with cracked fuel lines because i had my lines SPEWING gas at one point this winter in the 4k and it still ran fine....smelt like gas and went through it faster but still got up and went.

Old 06-16-2009, 10:33 AM
1st Gear

Does it turn over when you turn the key? Also, I've noticed on my 88 90Q that many replacement spark plugs don't make a good electrical connection to the wires, causing extremely high secondary ignition resistance. This resistance can be so much that the spark just won't make it to the plug. Try putting in the old plugs if you suspect this might be the case.

Regards,
Zilent