Computer & Fuel Systems Talk about the computer, fuel systems and delivery, customization and more.

Inmotion usa chip tuners

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 10:12 PM
Default Inmotion usa chip tuners

I thought I would post my experience with Inmotion usa.

When I purchased an 05 Audi A4 1.8T w/45K miles in July of 08 my first thought was to get it chipped.

While searching the endless forums in Audi and VW there was a consensus that the top are GIAC and APR with REVO and UPSOLUTE following but they come w/a price tag. I am one not to sacrifice good quality product for a couple of dollars but I don’t want to throw it away either.

The company InMotion usa would come up with good reviews in performance, price and support but there was not much else. A lot of people would bash them b/c they are unheard of , they didn’t like their website, or believe the price was to good to be reliable They sell on Ebay or through their website for a little more if you want the free re-flash in the event you lose the software at the stealership.

I liked the option of doing my own programming and opted for OBD flash tool It cost an additional $50 for that option plus the cost of return shipping next day USPS w/3K insurance. I ordered it on Thursday confirmed order Friday w/James and was supposed to get package on Saturday if payment was processed on time. Didn’t get it on Saturday or Monday b/c of MLK day.

Got it on Tuesday tried to read ECU but couldn’t. Would get error “ECU in recovery“. Called Wednesday morning to get tech assistance but nothing would help access ECU. Only option was to send flash tool back w/ECU or get 100% refund minus cost of return shipping and the $50(James had offered not to charge $50 b/c of shipping issue in the event OBD tool worked).

I chose to return tool w/ECU next day Thursday(~$40 shipping w/5K insurance). Spoke to James Friday and was able to flash ECU and eliminate top speed and increased rev limiter at no charge cuz I asked nicely.

Got it back on Saturday and where to begin another long story. Car had more pull than stock but there was a problem. Surge. Since it was Saturday I could not talk to James so I went crazy searching every web site on how to and I found multiple thing that could be the problem.

Got to speak with James for tech assistance to diagnosis problem on Monday and was sent links to forums with solutions to similar problems.

I had a VAG error of 16683 Boost Pressure Regulation control range not reached, P0229-002 lower limit exceeded intermit. So I was advised to check for leaks as the number ONE reason for the surging b/c car was used and had some miles on it.

So, not being mechanical inclined I found a shop who charged $85 to diagnosis, fix and replace the parts I bought there. Two check valves($100), stock blown diverter to a Forge 007($140) and ECS N75 “H”($85). Grand total $425 dollars and it stilled surged in 3rd and 4th at 5200 RPMS but could feel the difference in boost as it came on stronger.

Third tank of 93 octane car ran a little better but still surging on /off but more on.

Ran multiple VAG logs with friend to find problem and sent results to James in the form of graphs. Logs showed drop(spike)in MAF reading while in 5000-6000 rpm range.

So it was suggested to run w/out sensor plugged in which made no change in surge issue other than decease in MPG. It was also suggested to change to Copper plugs NGK BKR6E or #7 (colder) gapped at .032 which made a HUGE difference in performance.

I can pull hard in 3rd w/no surge to redline but 4th and 5th it happens but a lot less.

Did I stress you need 93 or better. But who drives over 100MPH on the highway to reach those RPMS in 4th and 5th gear.

Pulled plugs out and re-gapped to .028 which I read may be better b/c of coilpacks not packing enough juice. Either way plugs were $8 bucks for all four.

Car runs GREAT now in 1ST-4TH gear up to 5200rpms in which it pulls a lot harder, spools up much faster and makes driving light to light 0-60 mph more exciting.

Not that bobo acceleration of stock. It’s definitely funner to drive as long as I’m not pushing over 100MPH in 4th. Car has smoother boost in tall gears 5th/6th for passing w/out having to downshift b/c the power comes on hard around 3500RPMS.

Despite the long and pain staking process I went through I believe that Inmotion’s software should be strongly considered for the 1.8T motors if you are willing to give a small company the chance they deserve to put a dent in a market dominated Giants.

Remember everyone started out not knowing who they were(GIAC, APR, REVO UPSOULTE) and word of mouth goes a long way.

BTW my friend who helped with the logs has 09 2.0T golf with their software and had no issues flashing it himself w/the OBD tool and runs AWESOME w/no surging. You can feel the g’s pulling you back as your body is trying to catch up.

I wish I could upgrade motors!!

I hope this helps anyone considering Inmotion usa as their tuners.