Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

Head Unit Stopped Working. Help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 11:20 AM
1st Gear
Default Head Unit Stopped Working. Help!

Background:
2000 A6 factory BOSE system
Tapped wires at stock amp to run aftermarket amp and sub but following these directions AudiForums.com - Powered by vBulletin
Also using DICE iPod adaptor
Both have been done several years ago

Problem now:
My radio last week started turning on and off after I turned it on.
Now it will rarely turn on at all.
I noticed last night that even the lights on the Head Unit are not working when it is not, but will cut on if it does decide to play.

I have tried so far to remove the DICE unit entirely and the same problem exists.
I rewired the taps I had in the trunk since they caused my issues once before (i thought this was probably the problem since i had twist connectors on it that have come loose before...before they just caused my aftermarket sub to stop working not the entire stereo tho).
I have tried several times to secure all the plugs in the back of the head unit and play with no luck.

It can't be a fuse since it occasionally works. It seems like a bad connection somewhere, but where would that be if its not on the back of the headunit or amp in the trunk? Or would the HU itself be going bad?

EDIT: replaced with a new HU to test it and it is working...guess my HU just went bad.

Last edited by IzeBerg; 09-30-2011 at 12:07 AM.
Old 10-18-2011, 10:58 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by IzeBerg
Background:
2000 A6 factory BOSE system
Tapped wires at stock amp to run aftermarket amp and sub but following these directions AudiForums.com - Powered by vBulletin
Also using DICE iPod adaptor
Both have been done several years ago

Problem now:
My radio last week started turning on and off after I turned it on.
Now it will rarely turn on at all.
I noticed last night that even the lights on the Head Unit are not working when it is not, but will cut on if it does decide to play.

I have tried so far to remove the DICE unit entirely and the same problem exists.
I rewired the taps I had in the trunk since they caused my issues once before (i thought this was probably the problem since i had twist connectors on it that have come loose before...before they just caused my aftermarket sub to stop working not the entire stereo tho).
I have tried several times to secure all the plugs in the back of the head unit and play with no luck.

It can't be a fuse since it occasionally works. It seems like a bad connection somewhere, but where would that be if its not on the back of the headunit or amp in the trunk? Or would the HU itself be going bad?

EDIT: replaced with a new HU to test it and it is working...guess my HU just went bad.
I had a similar problem after Best (Worst) Buy attempted to install XM radio a couple of years ago. I replaced the unit 4 times!! Eventually I found that the unit was bad but somehow would keep "dying". What worked for me was with the inigtion off, unplug the unit, take the fuse out of the fuse box, turn ignition off, plug everything in with the power one being the last and then would have to enter the safe code. I had to do this everytime after shutting off the car. As mysteriously it started, it stopped. Occasionally, I still have to do it. I haven't figured out the long term permanent solution but it hasn't done it in several months. Maybe that can help a little for the time being.

Old 10-18-2011, 10:59 PM
1st Gear

Correction...I found the unit was not bad...