Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

Major electrical problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 06:36 AM
1st Gear
Exclamation Major electrical problem

Hey, recently I've just bought myself an A4 1995 quattro. It only took 2 weeks to start acting up. The ignition lock is damaged somewhat, and fails to work properly all the time. But the major issue is the electricals. I've had the car checked and came to a conclusion that the owner before me messed around with the car's electicals in some way or another.

So at the moment, I'm having trouble starting my car. she only starts at night time, because it's cold. as soon as it gets warm or if its mid-day, she never starts. when I turn the key in the ignition, the electricals come on like normally, (interior lights etc..) but the engine doesnt even make a sound, no coughing or anything.

And also, I was told that there is some sort of device that senses the temp and does not allow the engine to be started after it hits a certain temp, but not sure if that's true or not. I really dont want to spend a fortune on this, so does anyone have any experience or knowledge on this sort of matter?

Any help is greatly appreciated,

Thanks guys

Old 03-15-2009, 11:23 AM

I would bet more that the problem lies in the ignition switch.

To me, it sounds like the ignition column is expanding in the heat which might interfere with the damaged ignition switch.

In the cold, there is no expansion of that area and maybe it is not pushing a connection or something and thus allowing it to start.

It's a big job, but you have to rip your ignition switch out, and possibly your column and do some prodding with a multi-meter to identify your problem.

If I was a betting man, I would bet that if you install a new ignition switch you should be scott-free.

Old 03-15-2009, 11:25 AM

Also, just for ***** and giggles, try jiggling your shifter (if it is an automatic) through park to neutral etc...to try to start it. It might be the interlock system.

Old 03-15-2009, 02:36 PM
1st Gear

I've actually overcome the problem somewhat. when it's cold and it is still refusing to start, I push the key in harder and it works every time. the only time when it doesnt work is when it's hot or a bit warm. and the cars a manual lol, my friend gave me a push the other day when I was in reverse and the car just started up.