General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

01 Audi A4 weird issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2016, 11:48 PM
1st Gear
Default 01 Audi A4 weird issues

Hey guys, sorry in advance for not following guidelines.

2001.5 Audi A4 Quartto. 1.8t with the trip/auto trans. 180k miles

First issue that needs to be resolved quickly is my codes. Registration is due here in march so much help needed please. At first the code that popped up was P0102. This comes on every start up so I stopped clearing it. It also stopped doing cold starts and just goes to normal idle. Which has something to do with the mass air not reading the correct amount of air (i could be wrong) P0172, unsure of what this code is. Seems it can be anything? Also unsure of when it came on but it hasn't popped back up (cleared codes this morning).

Another weird problem I have is what I call the phantom coolant leak... When I first got the car we replaced the water pump and some coolant lines behind the engine due to a coolant leak. Leak went away for a short while and then has reappeared. It doesn't come from the same spot as before so those must be good. It also comes and goes. Like for instance it leaked a small tortilla sized puddle overnight and small drops when parked for short periods (3-4 hours). Some days it doesn't leak. What has gotten me really confused is that I went out of town for a week and the car wasn't driven during that time. All the coolant leaked out while I was away. Seemed to come out of the from bumper so maybe the radiator? Any suggestions would be nice, coolant is kinda pricey.. lol

Last problem is that the trip selection is clunky and trans is clunky going into first. Im assuming I just need to check fluid levels.

Thanks guys for any help!