General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

A3 door lock problems.

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2015, 09:52 AM
1st Gear
Default A3 door lock problems.

I have a 2007 S3 which has decided to lock me out of the drivers door.
I can use the fob to lock and dead lock everything as normal. When it comes to unlocking using the fob everything unlocks correctly apart from the drivers door. The windows wind up and down using the fob and so I'm using this as the way in as once the window is open I can use the internal handle to open the door. Once the door has been opened it remains unlocked and opens from the external handle. The locking button on the drivers door locks everything but will not unlock the drivers door.
I have read many web sites and forums and looked at endless videos but none actually deal with this specific problem.
Answers for door lock problems range from dry joints on the pcb in the door lock, broken wires, faulty micro switches, burred plastic on the surround of the micro switch etc. However whilst I appreciate that you never know the answer for definite until you solve the problem I have decided that removal of the lock may be the answer.
It appears that you can remove the lock by removing just the door card (It is suggested that the window can be left in situ provided you are prepared to work "blind" to remove and replace the lock bolts).

Any suggestions or guidance on what the fault is and if it is feasible to remove and replace the lock without the window being removed would be appreciated.

Thanks

Old 02-02-2015, 05:38 AM
1st Gear

Bump. I have the exact same issue with my 2007 A3 sportsback! Hope someone can help.

Old 02-03-2015, 10:24 AM
1st Gear
Default Door lock problem

I have ordered some non scratch tools to remove the door card then I will let you know how I get on.

Old 02-04-2015, 05:16 AM
1st Gear

Hey man! I replaced the door lock actuator, very cheap part and my door works perfectly. Let me know how your investigation goes though

Hope you read this in time!

Old 02-27-2015, 10:46 AM
1st Gear

I ended up stripping the door card out and removing window etc to remove door lock. When testing with it out the car it looked like a door closure switch fault. This I determined from measuring with a meter across all the terminals on the connector of the lock and finding which ones changed when individual micro switches were operated when the door mechanism was shut and then open. Having read various web pages I assumed I would be able to replace faulty micro switch. WRONG. My version of the door lock has all the microswitches encapsulated in resin so no chance of replacement, hence a new (second hand) door lock. It worked.
One point to anyone going down the same route, be aware that the type on my car (S3) was different to most of those on other A3's. So you need to remove to check number before buying a replacement. This just means either removal and installation twice or off road until replacement arrives, unless paying Audi prices.
My total cost was £59.95 compared to £288.00 for Audi to do the work!!
Hope this helps.

Old 03-03-2015, 07:29 AM
1st Gear
Default doorlock removal

Just a postscript to earlier message. The screws on the end of the door holding the lock in place are NOT the normal Torx heads but are a multi slotted type. A torx wouldn't shift mine and as a consequence quickgrips were used after putting a plastic protector over the paintwork.