General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

transmission question!

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 06:41 PM
Default transmission question!

i have a situation with my car...... the clutch had been slipping...and it was the original clutch and the car has almost 100k miles so i figured it was time to get a new clutch. car goes into the shop to get a new one, and i get a call saying the axle wouldnt come off to so they had to break it, and they are charging me for a new axle (is it just me or am i not the only one who doesnt get that?) furthermore my car goes in with a decent transmission....not the smoothest shifts, but certainly workable. I get it back and it now takes a large weight-bearing throw to get it into gear and sometimes it wont even go. and im puzzled because the tranny went in working fine....someone help!

Old 01-13-2009, 07:46 PM

I am sorry to hear this. It breaks my heart to see innocent people paying big dollars to other people to do a good job hopefully and they screw things up. IT IS THEIR FAULT FOR BREAKING THE AXLE SCREWS, PERIOD! Audi uses 12 point torx driver special tool to remove the axles. Some idiot who is getting paid by the hour and doesn't give a **** about you or your problems was forcing it with the wrong tool. I would ask to see the broken bolt and ask for the tool they used to take it off and take photos if it happened to me. I would not just walk away scared of those *************. Most people are shy about it, but not me. One time they removed the sound insulation and serviced my car but never put it backThe bottom engine cover)....a month later, I found out it was missing, and I went back demanding it. They say I have no proof , and I made a big show. The police came and I defended myself saying that they stole my engine cover and I won't leave quiet. I ended up filing a report on them instead. They called the police to intimidate me and remove me, but I ended up filinf a complaint against them. I had to pay $50 bucks to small claims court, but they didn't want to waste time in court and wrote me a check for $250 bucks to buy one at a junk yard. In the future, before you go into any service shop for repairs, take video of your car on and shoot videos of it in the shop. People will think you are looney. But they will not **** with your car because they see you are a serious customer. I seen many people come out of shops with missing brackets and screws. The employees just care about their bills at home and moving those cars through quickly.

Old 01-13-2009, 08:11 PM
Angry

well the axle aggravates me as well. but could the clutch have been put on wrong and thats causing the shifting problems? or what? it drove very well when i took it in....and now its not even driveable!!!!

Old 01-13-2009, 09:39 PM

It is nearly impossible to break an axle. It could only bend in a severe accident. I think they stripped bolts trying to get them out and ordered new axle and bolt set and put it on your tab. But anyways, next time video tape what you want fixed and take it in. If something is missing or is not right, you show em the tape and they can't say jack or argue their way out like they always do. You are not the first they screwed and you sure won't be last.

Your clutch may have been put backwards, maybe the bearing is backward, could be many things, and I am not able to guess without driving your car around the block to tell you my diagnosis. I would take it back and explain exactly what you said here. They may help (be sure to have someone tape you driving it to the shop and explain in the tape what is happening and where you are taking it, show your shifting and try to get good sound. And turn off the tape and give them the keys. Then, when they call you back quickly(like they always do for a recheck) you say " damn! that was fast" and you drive it around the block and the same crap happens, you say, " these bastards didn't do a thing and charged me again!" You go back and this time you have proof for them to eat it. Because many times they don't do anything. They just put your car in the air so you feel better when you pass by, then they go to work on other stuff instead of doing your car from start to finish. This is why many shops lose parts, put wrong things in or screw **** up. They got music in the back ground, they are talking too much and smoking, and all they care about is putting in eight hours and getting home. The boss just wants to get that car out and charge you quickly and make you feel like you are crazy. Been there done that ....You need to find someone to come to your house and fix your car. There are people out there that specialize in doing repair and they come to you with all the tools.