Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going, and going FAST!

MetalMan's 1.8T FrankenTurbo (F4H-L, F21) Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 01:07 PM
1st Gear

Hi thanks for replying, am on n75 with blitz but only for monitoring coz management threw a wobbler,it's a new maf, new actuator, new pcv valve, new bov, turbo don't even whistle! Only done 30k most lady driving lol, I have checked all pipework and pressured it no leaks, has no n249 or n112, had full service!, no fault codes just noticed on logs the actual boost is well off at most 1000 to specified boost! Lol driving me nuts! Ta

Old 09-04-2012, 05:10 PM

Got a couple semi-exciting things going on! First is that I FINALLY have front Bilstein sport struts coming, since my current Koni shock bodies are too large to fit the ECS Tuning coilover sleeves I got a couple weeks ago (the front sits about 1/2" higher than the rear).

Second: I'm gearing up for paint. Last week I pulled off the lower door moldings and soon plan to grind off the studs.
I've got a Dewalt dual-action random orbital sander and a number of different grit sanding disks.
Have primer coming as well.
I plan on prepping the rear bumper valence for paint.
I'd like to try removing my stock side skirts and installing RS4 side skirts that I got FOR FREE over a year ago. They would be prepped by me.

Then I'd probably prep the rest of the car for paint. The next step (actual painting with basecoat and clearcoat) is where I'm not sure: I could probably buy all the equipment and paint to do it myself, or have a shop do it.

Old 09-06-2012, 11:37 AM

Spent 4ish hours last night swapping in the NEW ( ) Bilstein sport struts and ECS coilover sleeves. Yes, I know that was way too long, but after an 8-hour work day I had a few brain farts that wasted maybe an hour.

Found out that the Koni sport struts are about half an inch LONGER than the Bilstein sport struts... DOH! Knowing this now I probably could have skipped on dropping $140 on the ECS Tuning coilover sleeves (since the Konis were causing my front end to sit about 1/2" higher than the Bilsteins in the rear). But oh well.

The front still sits a little high, but with some time and the coilover wrenches I can drop the front down in no time

Old 10-24-2012, 12:58 PM

Been a little while. Haven't done anything in terms of exterior, other than pull off my lower door moldings in preparation for shaving off the pins, filling in the holes/slots, and priming the leftovers. BUT I do have plans to do all of my body work stuff... I have a feeling my car will be primed, and then will sit with only primer on it for a while.

But that's because I've been doing something more fun! I have put a lot of time/energy/research into retrofitting a Google Nexus 7 tablet into my center console to replace my head unit. Climate Control will be relocated to the ash tray, and ash tray/cigarette lighter will be relocated elsewhere.

This will likely be one of the more sophisticated tablet builds. Here's why:
-Nexus 7 tablet
-NO head unit - all equalizer functionality comes from Nexus 7 and volume/bass level potentiometers

-USB flash drive to hold music/movies/etc.
-USB audio DAC because the 3.5mm audio-out on the Nexus 7 isn't the greatest audio quality
-charging simultaneously while hosting USB (this is not supported even by most rooted/custom kernel Nexus 7's)

-connected to my Droid Charge 4G smartphone
-wifi hotspot on my phone to share internet connection with Nexus 7 (Pandora, Netflix, Tune In radio, etc.)
-Tablet Talk app to allow Nexus 7 to control my smartphone's phone calling and text messaging (via the wifi hotspot connection)
-automated with Tasker and Autoremote apps, so this wifi hotspot connection will occur autonomously just by turning ignition ON

-Bluetooth adapter for my phone, for making phone calls through my car's speakers
-Scosche Motormouth - this comes with a splitting/muting auxiliary connector that turns off music whenever a phone call is in progress

-Bluetooth OBDII reader
-Torque app on Nexus 7 to read OBDII data and display it on gauges. Also to check for fault codes without busting out my netbook + VAG-COM cable

-custom bezel/faceplate that will allow easy/rapid removal of Nexus 7 from car

-audio outputs will be sent through RCA connectors/wiring to my 4-channel and subwoofer amps
-for now front and rear channels will be the same, but I'll still have left-right stereo audio

This is a majorly intensive project, and so far I've spent most of my time just getting the charging and USB hosting (for flash drive, USB audio, etc) to work simultaneously, because I'm going to use the charger input to essentially "activate" the tablet and enable automation.

Last edited by MetalMan; 10-24-2012 at 02:48 PM.
Old 11-12-2012, 11:10 AM

So this is a pic of my project idea for fitting the Nexus 7 into my center console, back when I first purchased the Nexus 7:
Name:  2012-08-14123611.jpg
Views: 953
Size:  323.8 KB

And here's a teaser progress pic :
Name:  2012-11-12055405.jpg
Views: 624
Size:  25.0 KB

First person to guess what's "unique" about that picture gets an e-cookie

Last edited by MetalMan; 04-05-2013 at 12:18 PM.
Old 12-17-2012, 01:48 PM
1st Gear

Looks like you moved your HVAC controls down some.

Old 12-17-2012, 02:23 PM
Administrator

Just read through this whole thread, very cool!

Old 12-17-2012, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by Cams
Looks like you moved your HVAC controls down some.
We have a winner HVAC controller was relocated to where the ashtray/cigarette lighter are. Pics will be forthcoming.

Originally Posted by CCA4
Just read through this whole thread, very cool!
Thanks! It's been a lot of work and a long path, but now I have a reliable DD that's fun to drive although lately my aftermarket-brand ignition switch has been acting up, and sometimes takes 10+ tries before it'll actually start the car. Got a spare in the driver-side door pocket

Been pretty busy with the Nexus 7 project and life since the last major update. In terms of life: I proposed to my GF, she said yes, and we've been in wedding-planning mode. Don't think I could have been luckier in finding a girl, this one is definitely one-of-a-kind and in some cases actually promotes working on my car she and I have tackled various jobs on her Jeep as well (radiator replacement, spark plugs, etc) which has been fun.

The majority of the Nexus 7 project is complete (most of it being research). It's mounted in my car, and has been in use for 4-ish weeks now. For the most part it works as intended, and there are just a bunch of little things to accomplish which, when finished, will allow me to be sufficiently content.

Old 12-18-2012, 03:08 PM
Administrator

Congrats about your gf! That's on my to-do list for 2013

I really think I'm going to end up going with the FT when I upgrade late next year. For the price, and the fact that the new F21 could conceivably make GTRS power is enough to make up my mind.

Old 12-18-2012, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by CCA4
Congrats about your gf! That's on my to-do list for 2013

I really think I'm going to end up going with the FT when I upgrade late next year. For the price, and the fact that the new F21 could conceivably make GTRS power is enough to make up my mind.
Thanks! It's exciting for sure, but I'm not a big fan of being engaged... it's like being single, but you dished out a bunch of $$$$ for a ring, and you have to plan for a wedding LOL. I could've easily bought another car with the $$$$ I spent on her ring, but in the end, she's worth way more to me than Quattro

If you go with the FT kit, just PROMISE me you'll use an 034 Motorsport locking tab! Turbo mounting bolts that loosen on their own are absolutely no fun.

Just now I spent about 1/2 hour (at work) going through this thread. I picked out several major things I still need to do, which I said I'd do 6+ months ago:
-get my tune tweaked by Jeff @ United Motorsport (was waiting for it to run smoothly, and the idle issue I had was probably caused by the 034 Motorsport billet PCV valve sticking)
-dyno my car after getting the tweaked tune

At 3bar fuel pressure my long term fuel trim is 13+%, which is too high. I'm confident this is caused by the lean spot between 1800-2300 RPM, since most of my driving is below 3000 RPM, and it tends to run rich outside of the 1800-2300 range.
At higher fuel pressures the long term fuel trim drops to acceptable levels, but as the ECU adapts the lean region returns.
This lean region is mostly an issue when the engine is cold because it can cause pretty severe bucking in that RPM range. Even when warm I notice it after shifting if I pay attention.

Quick Reply: MetalMan's 1.8T FrankenTurbo (F4H-L, F21) Build Thread