RS Model Line Audi RS4 and Audi RS6..Pure race-car performance technology applied to the comfortable ride for which Audi is known

Thinking of buying an RS6

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 04:12 PM
1st Gear
Default Thinking of buying an RS6

So I am in the research stage trying to decide if an RS6 is right for me. I understand there are common problems with the shock absorbers (DRS?) What other items should I watch out for?

How much can I expect to spend on routine maintenance? Should I decide to maintain the car myself, how serviceable are these cars? I am assuming that insurance is not cheap what should I expect to pay?

Any comments and experiences are greatly appreciated.

Regards,
BILL

Old 03-22-2008, 07:23 PM
PW
1st Gear
Default RE: Thinking of buying an RS6

Contact GIAC_RS6 he has a RS6 and is a friend of mine. I'm sure he'll answer all your questions.

He's bumping around the cental and RS forums.

I have an 08 RS4 and I love it! Can't go wrong with an RS in my opinion.

Old 04-09-2008, 04:00 AM
1st Gear

I wouldn't say there are common problems with the shock absorbers.. The suspension on the RS6 is signifigantly stiffer than a normal A6 so the ride will be different.
I myself haven't had any suspension problems and I have only seen one other person on AF's with a suspension problem..

If you do get an RS6 it's smart to get an aftermarket warranty if it doesn't still have one. The engine has to be taken out for any major repairs and it can be costly..

Old 05-04-2008, 01:45 PM
Administrator

From what I was just reading on here, the costs of routine maintenance aren't cheap. I think it was GIAC_RS6 that was quoted $1700 for a brake job. If you're truly in the market and can afford to own the car (not just afford to purchase it), then it probably won't be any different than maintaining my A4 is for me. But the dollar signs do appear to be large for parts and work.

Old 05-05-2008, 02:40 AM
1st Gear

Yeah 1700 for new rotors, pads all around and brake lines flushed from the stealership

Old 05-08-2008, 01:02 AM

Exactly what upstate said. Mantenance is killer on almost all audis especially the 4.2 bi-turbo in the rs6. I belive the engine has to be pulled for a timing belt (read it somewhere) and the belt has to be changed about every 30000 miles? That could be a PITA. Writing that sounds wrong, but I can almost swear I read it somewhere... Anyway.

If you think money will be tight the 2.7t can be upgraded to almost the same power as the Rs6 (stock), but you won't have its steller looks. Then the 4.2 can be modded to look exactly like an Rs6 w/out the power haha!

Old 06-24-2008, 04:40 PM

I've had the right rear strut go bad twice now. It looses fluid and then bumps very badly. Sounds like it's loose in the chassis.

Power steering rack developed a leak around 30K also. Filled up the boots, but didn't pee on the floor. Whiny pump let me know there was an issue.

30K - yea, timing belt replacement. Ouch. Glad it was under warranty the first time.

Rotors and pads are easy to replace. It's pretty much pull the wheels, remove two socket head cap screws for each caliper and the rotor comes off in your hands. Pads are pretty simple to replace also. Pull the pins, pull the pads, replace. Pay attention to the location of the wires that come off the pads - they run along a particular path to keep them out of harm's way. If you're even remotely mechanically minded, you can do the pads & rotors. I don't recall the torque specifics for the calipers - contact Audi and ask. They had to cross reference the torque spec from another model - once again, I can't recall what it was.