S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

chip install woes...

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2007, 12:37 PM
1st Gear
Default chip install woes...

[hr]

Alright. So i bought an apr stage 1 chip, and bailey dv's, from this guy on ebay. There are two tuner shops in my city, one said sure we'll solder it in, and the other said we don't deal with german cars. I brought my car in on friday to get it installed, and they said they had never seen anything like it. The chips they have put in before were either piggyback things that clipped on to the wires or something, or chips that replace the eprom in the ecu. They said that my ecu didn't have an eprom to replace, and showed it to me and what not. It looked like there was a place that it would fit perfectly onto, over a pre existing chip thing on my ecu, it lined up perfectly- but they said even soldering that would be ridiculously hard, and they weren't sure that's where it belonged. Another thing, the chip i know is used, but there is no evidence of it being soldered before. So, they called an apr dealer down south, and the apr dealer said that i might as well send the thing back, because it's useless...? That guy said that he was an expert solderer, and he's only soldered in three of those chips before and has wrecked two of the three putting them in. He also said that with a car that has 80,000 miles that there is a good chance the chip will fry my ecu or my engine somehow. I know that a ton of people out there have these chips in, so i'm looking for a little push in the right direction. If somebody can even give me good directions for how/where to put it in, i can probably have a electrical repair type person solder it in (since they do stuff like that every day) i feel kind of hopeless right now, so anything helps! sorry for all the noob questions and termanology, i'm learning! car is 2000 6 spd A box. thanks![/align]

Old 02-11-2007, 04:08 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: chip install woes...

APR doesn't use chips anymore, they flash the ECU.

If you want to try it, go to an electronics repair shop, they can solder it in. Totally not hard at all, you just use a lower watt soldering iron.
Should take about 30min to get it in there.

I kind of think you got a home made knock off chip, that some one made them selves.

Old 02-11-2007, 04:26 PM
1st Gear

I just messaged the guy about it, and he said to send him the chip and my ecu and for 100 bucks he'll get it professionally put in and mail it back... here is the exact thing i bought, though for a much cheaper price than shown, the winning bidder flaked so i was able to make an offer.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...920&rd=1,1

it does say apr on it too... it's printed, not painted on.

Old 02-11-2007, 04:35 PM
3rd Gear

I'll solder it in $100! Really it should be a $20-30 job locally.

If it is a real APR chip, it's very old code. The DV's look a little cheap to me.

Anyway, good luck, hope it works. By the time you are done with all this, you could have just got a new Flash from APR.

Old 02-11-2007, 11:53 PM
1st Gear

good news!found a guy a couple hoursaway that apparently solders these things in his sleep. It's a legit apr EMCS2chip, and he's got an apr home programmer so i can get all of the updated programs flashed to the chip i guess. andhe'll do it for$30!

Old 02-12-2007, 06:35 PM
1st Gear

Nice, glad to hear you figured out the problem, The DV look legit to me as long as there made of metal, that stock plastic ones blow...