S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

home made SS

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 03:23 PM
1st Gear
Default home made SS

well guys im doing alot of maintence on my car, getting it ready for the winter. and i came up this
short shifter mod
Is this actually i good thing to do? I would like to stiffen up my shifter becuase it wobble a little bit.
but some of my friends told me that short shifters are bad. bad for the synchros and tranny???
any comment for this mod.
how has it done?

thanks

Old 11-29-2007, 03:54 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: home made SS

Personally never heard anyone say that a short shifter was bad for syncros and tranny...maybe if bad fitment and caused you to not put the trans fully into each gear, but that sounds like a design flaw with the short shifter?

I'll be interested to see what people say.

Old 11-29-2007, 05:54 PM
2nd Gear

Yeah, an SS shouldn't in any way hurt a tranny unless it doesn't fully engage due to a design flaw as said above. But I wouldn't worry, especially if you buy from a good company.

Old 11-29-2007, 11:01 PM
1st Gear

Im really handy in the garage . with manufacturing and tweaking.. so i think im going to do the shifter modification for that 30% reduction...
I wanna get rid of the stock audi wobble too

Old 12-03-2007, 04:02 PM
1st Gear

short shifter good or bad for audi s4!!!!!!
BUMP!

Old 12-03-2007, 04:35 PM
3rd Gear

Whats bad for synchros and trannies are missed shifts, poor shifting, and downshifting when you really shouldn't.

Short shifters arent bad, if they were so many people wouldn't have them on their cars. Most shifters try to improve shifting in more than one way, and there are a bunch of good ones out for the b5. Stratmosphere has been recommended to me. I chose JHM, haven't tried it out though because my car is back in NH waiting for me to pick it up from the shop. Oh and i also dont have a license or insurance at the moment. B&M is also pretty popular. UUC used to make a nice shifter, although im not sure they still do. Toy Guy shifters have a pretty faithful following too.

Yes that mod looks like it will give you a shift reduction, it also looks like whoever did it thought about it and really made an effort, they used the proper tools and planned. But it most likely it still wont fix the slop, although modified it is still a stock shifter and ill bet it doesn't feel as nice as other SS's out on the market. I dont know what your garage is like but as soon as i saw the word mill i knew this mod is beyond my abilities.

By drilling that plastic piece youre CERTAINLY weakening the shifter, if you do it wrong you might just end up making your shifter worse. The bending of the metal piece will be tight at one end and loose at the other if you dont mill it properly to be paralell. The materials for this project are roughly $30 (if you buy a new shifter to modify) thats a fraction of the cost of a short shifter. If you dont wanna spend the money on a short shifter and want to try this mod go for it.

Old 12-03-2007, 10:15 PM
1st Gear

If you compare the link if the first message and the info on Toy Guy's website they are the same. The link is actually a DIY guide to making the Toy Guy short shifter yourself. I am certainly going to try this mod.. and if it stinks I will just go with one of the one mentioned by HP Addict. Glad you found the link! Thanks.