Wheels and Tires Post up threads with questions about wheels and tires for your Audi here

Tyre choice

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 10:33 AM
1st Gear
Default Tyre choice

Hi all
Just taken delivery of my A3 2.0TDI and have two questions........

1. I see in the handbook that Audi recommends wheel/tyre rotation - I have never been a fan of this, I would be interested in member's views

2. I will need to replace the tyres in a few moths time - 225 40 ZR18 what are your recommendations taking into account noise / handling / wear rate. I have always had Dunlop Sport tyres on my other cars (three Mercs) and rate them highly, but have no knowledge of Audi.

I anticipate an annual mileage of around 6000 - 8000 miles

Thanks in advance

Malcolm

Old 02-04-2013, 05:18 PM
Former Sponsor

Hi Malcolm,

In regards to tire rotation, obviously this depends on the specific tires you have. If you have a symmetrical or asymmetrical tread pattern then you are able to rotate in all four corners. If you have a directional tire, then you can only rotate front to rear and rear to front. Rotating tires will provide a longer life out of the tire, the tire will wear evenly, and this usually keeps the tire from becoming noisy.

As far as a replacement tire, I would need to know a few things before I could make my recommendation. What kind of driving do you do? More City or Highway? Are you more of a spirited driver or conservative? Are you looking for an All-Season or a dedicated Summer tire? The A3 is such a cool car and you can get some really neat options for it.

Let me know and I will be happy to give you my opinion.

Best Regards,

Old 02-06-2013, 04:41 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by lance@tirerack.com
Hi Malcolm,

In regards to tire rotation, obviously this depends on the specific tires you have. If you have a symmetrical or asymmetrical tread pattern then you are able to rotate in all four corners. If you have a directional tire, then you can only rotate front to rear and rear to front. Rotating tires will provide a longer life out of the tire, the tire will wear evenly, and this usually keeps the tire from becoming noisy.

As far as a replacement tire, I would need to know a few things before I could make my recommendation. What kind of driving do you do? More City or Highway? Are you more of a spirited driver or conservative? Are you looking for an All-Season or a dedicated Summer tire? The A3 is such a cool car and you can get some really neat options for it.

Let me know and I will be happy to give you my opinion.

Best Regards,
Thanks for reply - I want an all season tyre and am a conservative driver with the vast majority being urban driving

Cheers

Malcolm

Old 02-06-2013, 02:53 PM
Former Sponsor

Malcolm,

That's good. Here are 3 different tires I would suggest. Due to the size your A3 uses the most applicable category is the Ultra High Performance All-Season.

The first tire is our # 1 rated tire.
Bridgestone*Potenza RE970AS Pole Position

The 2nd, was our #1 for a long time.
Continental*ExtremeContact DWS

The 3rd is a very nice choice
Michelin*Pilot Sport A/S Plus

Check these out, take a look at our test and customer survey results. Let me know if you have any questions or want to place an order.

Regards,