Allroad 4.2 won't restart when hot - AudiForums.com

Allroad Model Line Audi's take on the modern "Crossover" of a sport utility vehicle and a station wagon

Old 08-29-2017, 05:26 PM
1st Gear

Default Allroad 4.2 won't restart when hot

I have a 2004 Allroad 4.2L Problem Iím having is that after running it at highway speed for a period of time, say an hour or more, if I shut the engine off for s short period of time (say at a rest stop) and then try to restart it, it wonít start until I wait for an unspecified period of time, anywhere from a couple of minutes to 20+ minutes. All the dash lights come on, thereís a slight click but it doesn't crank. I keep trying every minute or so until suddenly, voila, it suddenly starts right up.
I don't have this problem if just driving and stopping around town.

Saw some blogs that pointed to a bad coolant temperature sensor but dealer said not that as even if it was bad the engine might not start but it would at least crank. Is that correct and if so does anyone have any other ideas? This used to happen just periodically but now it happens almost every time.

Thanks
Old 12-13-2017, 01:31 PM
1st Gear

My first guess would be bad starter. If itís not cranking at all when warm you solonoid is probably crapping out.
Old 04-25-2018, 01:27 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for the response. If the starter were going bad though, wouldn't I experience trouble starting the car at any other time, not just under the circumstances described? If I just drive around town doing errands never have a problem .. it gets warmed up but doesn't get as hot as highway driving