Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

buying an a4

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 10:51 PM
Default buying an a4

i have never owend an audi and i was looking to buy a 98 a4 with about 120k miles i vaugly rember somone talking once about a4's have a belt that needs to be changed at about 120k or it will blow the motor or something any info about this and anything else to look for while cheking it out would be greatly appricated

Old 01-15-2008, 12:06 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: buying an a4

ummmmm wow,
well first, that "belt or somthing" is your timing belt and tesionor pully, usually you will change the water pump, thermostat, and other belts if needed, while replace the timing belt, there all right there.
Yes, you will do catistrophic damage if the timming belt goes while driving.
my recomendarions read the newbie guide at the top of the page, fallowed by the Audi maitenace schedule, this will give you more insight to what your up against.
ohhh yea welcome

Old 01-15-2008, 12:15 AM
1st Gear

Well, any belt that has been on a car for that long should be about to burst...Its not even that Audis do that its about taking care of your car. If people take care of their cars then that rumor wouldnt have started, its those stupid people who buy Audis and then their belt breaks and then their buddys belt breaks so then on they say "OH AUDIS BELTS BREAK SO DAMN EASY" well dur moron you need to take better care of yo sh*t...but besides that, yes if your drive belt breaks your car is history because 98 Audi 1.8Ts and v6's are "interference motors" meaning that the pistons and the valve paths will interfere with each other and incorrect timing movements will cause them to collide therefor destroying your motor. I'd say as long as you replace your belt as shown in your manuel or Haynes manuel then you should be ok. So dont worry about the belt but just make sure you look at the motor very well before buying one and check the belts. If you see anything wrong with the belt which they will show you different types of scaring on belts in the Haynes manuel or websites. So go ahead and get an Audi A4, joint the crew dont be scared

Old 01-15-2008, 01:13 AM
2nd Gear

This guy is definetly not in TAG (talented and gifted).