Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Considering buying a A4.....

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2005, 08:02 PM
Default Considering buying a A4.....

howdy there! I'm in the market for a new (used) car. To tell you the truth I have never owned a car before, always trucks. I am a pretty big guy 6'4" 250# and just dont feel comfortable in most cars. As you can imagine driving a truck around that gets 15/17MPG is getting old. Even more so not that I am looking at a 50 mile a day commute to work.
I have been pondering what kind of vehicle would suit my driving needs (need to keep the truck for truck things) A guy in a truck forum I read suggested a A4. I do not know a damn thing about them!

#1 has to be comfortable for me to be in for long durations.
#2 has to have a respectable amount of power
#3 must be good in winter conditions (I would get a quattro)
#4 must get better mileage than my truck (enough to justify buying it)

I have set no budget, but I would not buy new.

some questions I have

-I have driven the 1.8T in a jetta. I believe this is the same engine? Is tuning available that will not hurt fuel economy (I dont want to rice it out I just am never satisfied with stock)
-will this thing fit me? For example I do not feel comfortable in most midsize domestic FWD cars (lumina, cavaliar, sebring, etc)
-how much maintence do they require? I have never owned a non american vehicle. How are they to work on? I can work on modern domestic vehicles with no problems. -How are parts availibility? There is no local Audi dealer to me (hour away) are most common parts availabe at parts stores?
-what is real world fuel ecomony for the 1.8t?

Whats the breakdown of model changes? I see there is a designation of platforms?
Whats things to look for and to avoid?

Any insight is nice. I have not even sat in one of these yet. I am planning on venturing out this weekend to see what they are all about.

Old 07-28-2005, 09:22 PM
5th Gear
Default RE: Considering buying a A4.....

The v6 has more power stock, but chipping the 1.8T will give 50 horse and 80 lbs of torque, and actually IMPROVE gas milage (if you can keep your foot off the floor). The v6 is more reliable though...

As for size... jeebus. 6'4" in an a4... I really don't want to venture a guess how that'd fit. I'd go sit in one... it feels the same as a jetta, inside... or rather, should feel identical to a passat

Might consider an a6, if you need something bigger... though the engine choices there are a little different... 2.8L which I've mentioned, 190 hp and nearly no mods (short of a supercharger). then a 250 hp 2.7 twin turbo v6, which you can mod to the moon, but the turbo's don't last long after modding... and a 4.2L v8, which I've heard awesome things about, but I don't imagine they are stellar on gas.

Old 07-28-2005, 09:30 PM
3rd Gear

What year would you be looking to purchase ?

Old 07-28-2005, 09:37 PM
Site Moderator

Comfort- Take one or two for a test drive, the front seats will lower down and they go pretty far back.
Power- You're not going to find any in a 1.8t in stock form (about 150 hp depending on the year). You can throw in a chip and exhaust at a reasonable price to get around 200hp from an A4. You can always try out an S4 depending on your budget.
Winter conditions- Quattro is the only way to go
Gas mileage- Will definately be better than a truck
Maintence and things to look for- It can get expensive (like $600-$800 for a timing belt change) there have been a few posts on this topic. Try a search and you canfind tons of information.
Fuel ecomony for the 1.8t- Around 22-25 mpg. That's about what I get. I think...

I hope this helps

Old 07-29-2005, 02:21 AM

ORIGINAL: headshok2002

The v6 has more power stock, but chipping the 1.8T will give 50 horse and 80 lbs of torque, and actually IMPROVE gas milage (if you can keep your foot off the floor). The v6 is more reliable though...

As for size... jeebus. 6'4" in an a4... I really don't want to venture a guess how that'd fit. I'd go sit in one... it feels the same as a jetta, inside... or rather, should feel identical to a passat

Might consider an a6, if you need something bigger... though the engine choices there are a little different... 2.8L which I've mentioned, 190 hp and nearly no mods (short of a supercharger). then a 250 hp 2.7 twin turbo v6, which you can mod to the moon, but the turbo's don't last long after modding... and a 4.2L v8, which I've heard awesome things about, but I don't imagine they are stellar on gas.
I have looked at the A6 and the V6's as much as I would like to have either, that only puts me at a few MPG more than the truck..... I could not justify the purchace.

Old 07-29-2005, 02:22 AM

ORIGINAL: Dave666

What year would you be looking to purchase ?
I dont know... year dosent really matter much at this point. I am still learning what is what. would want to get a pretty low mileage 50K or less.

Old 07-29-2005, 02:34 AM
2nd Gear

My best mate is 6'4 but smaller in breadth. He drives my A4 and thinks its great. Head clearence, obviously his legs are bent (not alot mind you) but I highly doubt you have driven a car/truck where you haven't had to bend you legs? Anyway you are definitely gonna get better mileage out of the Audi than a truck, I get about 8km to a litre (about 30mpg in your terms) in city driving. A stock A4 isn't gonna get you anywhere in a hurry. I do think you would be as comfortable as you could be though. Perhaps look at an A6? Something a little bigger. But I think an A4 would be OK.

Old 07-29-2005, 02:35 AM
3rd Gear

B6s (2002 to 2005) can hit 30mpg on the highway, are bigger, but have the same mods available to them, and you'll have better luck finding one with less than 50k on it. The seats in B5s are height adjustable, and go back pretty far, but I dunno. I have a friend who is 6'2 who has no problems with either my car (b5) or a mutual friend's B6 as far as space. He's nowhere near 250, though, so you really should go sit in one.