Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some info....(dealership related)

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 11:16 AM
SoCal Crew Member
Default Need some info....(dealership related)

So I am really not sure about the answers I will get here but I figured I would ask anyways....I purchased my A4 a few weeks (around 2) ago and New Years Day got a flat tire. When the tire was pulled off the whole inside wall was ripped off. The tire was really worn. The three other tires look fairly new & it seems like the previous owner replaced those but not this one. Does anyone know what responsibility a dealer has when selling a car with a tire like that? I was figuring none because its a used car but some people I have talked to told me I should call the dealership and give them hell for selling a car like that....anyone have any info on this??

Old 01-04-2008, 12:00 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Need some info....(dealership related)

Well Crystal, how strong and well can you argue? Take it to them and give them hell the worst thing they will do is not pay for it and you arent loosing anything, or pay for half or something but I dont see how a tire can fail after two weeks of driving? The inside wall being ripped can be if you drove the car and than the tire went flat while you came to a rolling stop, or you just wake up one morning and its flat?

Old 01-04-2008, 02:50 PM
1st Gear

Even if it was purchased new, it is my understanding that "comsumables" like brakes and tires do not fall under the liability of the dealership. If you buy a new car, head down the road and get a flat, they have little to no responsibility to resolve the problem for you. Most will to keep you happy with your expensive ew car purchase.

That being said, consitering the car was purchased USED, they're most likely not going to pay for the tire. unless the car was specifically listed as sold with an "bumper to bumper" warranty through the dealership for 30 days or some specific time frame and mileage that you have not exceeded, you're gonna be outta luck.

It may be worth a call at least, but I wouldn't tow the car there and demand they repair it. They're just going to tell you it should have been noticed/checked prior to purchase.

- Ryan

Old 01-04-2008, 05:26 PM
SoCal Crew Member

ORIGINAL: rsrbljan

Even if it was purchased new, it is my understanding that "comsumables" like brakes and tires do not fall under the liability of the dealership. If you buy a new car, head down the road and get a flat, they have little to no responsibility to resolve the problem for you. Most will to keep you happy with your expensive ew car purchase.

That being said, consitering the car was purchased USED, they're most likely not going to pay for the tire. unless the car was specifically listed as sold with an "bumper to bumper" warranty through the dealership for 30 days or some specific time frame and mileage that you have not exceeded, you're gonna be outta luck.

It may be worth a call at least, but I wouldn't tow the car there and demand they repair it. They're just going to tell you it should have been noticed/checked prior to purchase.

- Ryan
From what I've read dealerships have the responsibility to replace anything that is noticeably damaged and well I didn't notice how much wear & tear as on the tire because I test drove and bought it when it was raining. I wouldn't tow it down there considering the fact that it already has a full size spare on it. And its not like it has a nail in it and went flat from there. Also two weeks is hardly enough for me to "wear & tear". I dont know. I was just asking because I keep getting mixed answers. My first intial reaction was the same as yours but from what I am hearing its not the case.