Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A6 Quattro limp mode

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 04:31 PM
Default A6 Quattro limp mode

i have an 01 A6 and the tranny is in limp mode. i have no engine light, and my current scanner will not read drivetrain codes for audi. i recently purchased the car and it was in this condition. any suggestions on where to start on diagnosing this problem. and for the VAG Com tool is the cable all that is needed? cause i noticed that you can get the software for free.

Old 07-29-2010, 04:45 PM
Default tranny problem also

I have a 2001 A6 Quattro 2.8 also. I was in the last leg of a 5 hour road trip last night when I made a quick stop. When I got back in the car the car was stuck in 1st gear. The tiptronics would not work and the 'D" would not highlight when engaged. Then PRND432 all went red together. THen I shut the car down for about 15 minutes. Then the car worked fine and I got home. I brought the car into the dealer today and they said I have a bad solenoid that is built into the tranny so I need a new tranny, quote $6,000.00 plus tax. I'm picking up the car from the dealer in a few minutes not repaired. Any ideas guys?

DB

Old 07-29-2010, 05:35 PM
1st Gear

I am not an expert in this unit, but the ZF's I know have the solenoids attached to the valve body, and they can be removed and replaced for much less than this.....look around some.

Old 07-29-2010, 05:59 PM

well i have the 2.7 and it's in 3rd or 4th gear take off sucks, reverse is fine and all gears are highlighted on the dash, also it's saying brake light. have yet to check that. but i disconnected the battery while i cleaned the connectors to the
transmission. and right at start up it still showed all gears highlighted. i'm thinking it might have to do with the TCM.

Old 07-30-2010, 09:47 AM

Called back the dealer and had a few more questions--they said they don't work on transmissions they only replace them that's the reason for the full replacement price quote. After a little prodding the guy admitted I could go to a transmission repair shop and have the work done. It's the range sensor in the valve body. Calling around for quotes now. Anyone have any other insight plz advise.

Old 08-06-2010, 07:34 PM
1st Gear
Default A6 limp mode

Got water in the front passenger foot well due to plugged drain holes under cowl.
Had same issue...'98 A6 2.8L Quattro automatic...all gears highlighted in red, stuck in 4th gear and reverse worked. Called dealer and was told either needed new TCM or new tranny. Was going to cost several thousand $$.

Found a forum tip on Audi World that worked.

With car off, turn ignition switch until all dashlights on, do NOT start car, depress accelerator pedal to floor, hold, turn ignition off, let go accelerator pedal. Start car.

When I did this the transmission reset and car worked fine. It did it again about 3 weeks later and same remedy worked. That was a year ago and it has been working fine since.

Last edited by twoaudis; 08-06-2010 at 08:10 PM. Reason: more info
Old 08-07-2010, 04:11 AM

well i got the VAG com cable and scanned the tcm, cleared the code. it said 4th gear ratio incorrect. since i cleared the code it runs great till you get to the 3rd drive cycle then it came up with cylinder #5 misfire. so i switched coils with #4 and drive it again. and once again on the 3rd cycle is started to misfire once again. this time it said #5 and 6. so i'm puzzled cause it should be #4 since i switched 4 and 5. but i did change the valve cover gasket on that side prior to the fix and i'm finding oil in the spark plug area. next thing i'm gonna check is the icm's cause i want this car fixed already. also i noticed on the forum that other have had similar problems but some of the fixes are deleted. can anyone tell me why?

Old 08-19-2010, 06:51 PM
Default This is what I did to fix my 99 A6

You have to have a way of resetting or clearing the code this will create. VAG com is best. Disconnect the battery. If you jack up the front of the car and use jack stands very important. The is a thick cable that runs along the trans pan. It leads to a connection on one end and the trans neutral safety switch. Go to where the connection part of the cable is the is on the left front side of the trans. It is held by a bolt can't remember if it's torx or 10mm, remove the bolt and take off the bracket that holds the cable. There is a C clip that holds the connection together, take it off be careful because it is metal but can brake. Now the connection will be hard to pull apart its probably dirty. On my car the cable is a 9 pin male connection on one side and a 9 pin female on the other. With the connection open use some electrical cleaner and clean both sides and around the boots so they will fit better together. Go ahead and put them back together, replace the clip and bracket, now bolt it all back up. This is when you want to reconnect the battery and turn the key to the on position. You should see that you car will still be in LIMP mode. If you have VAG COM or something to clear the code of the trans this is the last step. This worked for me my trans has not been in LIMP for almost 2 weeks so my fingers are crossed