Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A6 won't start after short off

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 09:42 AM
Default A6 won't start after short off

Hey ya'll I'm new to the Audi world and new to this forum.

My 1998 A6 won't start after I turn it off for about 15-20 minutes. I usually have to go back inside the house and wait about an hour and it will start again. This started happening recently and luckily I haven't been stranded anywhere yet.

All the lights will turn on but it will make the cranking noise and will not engage. Have I "flooded" the engine?

Also, I recently replaced the radiator and power steering rack.

HELP!![&o]

Old 03-13-2008, 12:10 AM
Default RE: A6 won't start after short off

Had the same problem on my '99 A6 Quattro...After many hours of chasing that demon, I found the problem! Go to the fuel pressure regulator located on top of the engine, and check for the condition of the vacuum rubber hosethat goes to it. Also, check the other vacuum hoses in that general area. It appeared to me that due to engine heat, the vacuum hoses in that area just "dryed out" and the rubber became dust. I could not tell from just looking at it because of the cloth wrapping around the rubber hoses. I hope that helps and good luck!

Old 03-13-2008, 12:15 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: A6 won't start after short off

Maybe a temp sensor .. see if there are any codes -- If Autozone is nearby they might be able to do a scan for you.

Checking or replacing vacuum lines is a good idea.

One of the techs might think of something else