Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying Used A6

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 10:10 PM
1st Gear
Default Buying Used A6

Hello all...today my wife and I went for a test drive in a 2008 A6. Thankfully she loved it!
Question: Should I be worried about mileage? This car has 57K and others in the area are up to 90K.

What should I be looking for? Not many dealers have full maintenance records. I'm told it's important to replace timing belt after 50k.

Thanks for any and all input. Hopefully join the ranks soon.

Cheers!

Old 09-11-2011, 09:16 AM
2nd Gear

I think that the newer A6 no longer have a timing belt but chain. You don't have to worry about that kind of maintenance until you reach 150k.
The average driver rounds up around 10k to 15k per year so 57k in 3 years is just slightly over normal usage in my opinion. At least you can expect a car like that having lesser issues arising through city driving or not having the engine warm up properly.

However there is no bullet proof way of determining what will go wrong within the next few thousand miles since even if you have the service book you will not be able to go back in time to see how the driver was really treating his car and how well the mechanics did their job. There is also the possibility of having parts fail prematurely.

I'd say drive it under different conditions (up hill, down hill - harder braking, cornering, fast acceleration, etc), check all the little gizmos out - every single button. If you are not buying it from an Audi dealer, you could pay a local Audi shop the inspection fee and let them check it out completely for at least some reassurance.

Oh and get some kind of extended warranty for the engine/power train - if they go so does your savings account.