Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stupid Oil Change Question...

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 10:57 AM
1st Gear
Default Stupid Oil Change Question...

This has got to be a stupid question I'm sure, but here goes.

So I changed the oil from the first time in my high mileage 01 A6 2.7T on Saturday... remembering that there is apparently a varying consensus on how much oil capacity they have (which I found interesting). So it seemed that with the filter change, people said the car takes about 7qts. And when I filled to 6qts. it was fairly low... added another quart and it seemed just about right, granted it was a bit cold (40°F) Saturday.

So this morning, I start the car up to warm it up (15°F this morning). It started just fine, but when I came back 15 minutes later to leave the car was sputtering and the check engine light was flashing... I immediately shut it off, let it sit for a second and started it again... same sputtering. Shut if off again and went to check the oil and it seemed way overfilled and obnormally dark for being brand new oil?

Long story short did I overfill by putting 7 qts in? And have I done any damage to the car by having it run for 10-15 minute in that state? God help me if I was dumb enough to screw something up as simple as an oil change.

Old 01-04-2010, 11:29 AM
3rd Gear

Sputtering is not related with the oil change. 7 qt will not hurt the car.

Old 01-04-2010, 11:59 AM
1st Gear

Huh, okay. Well any stupid question then... what is the full mark on these dipsticks? On the orange plastic piece, I assume it's okay as long as within the mesh area in the middle, which I assume to be the operating range? Cuz right now it seems to be well above the mesh area.

Old 01-04-2010, 03:37 PM
3rd Gear

Stang,
If your dipstick is similar to the one in a C4, then you should have arrows pointing to both low and max levels. For the "max" level, the tip of the arrow is where you want your your oil to be (on my C4 the tip of the arrow coincides with the edge of the plastic)
If you have well too much oil, you can either loosen up the filter or the drain plug to the point where you have a small stream of oil (don't unscrew any of the two all the way ). You can guesstimate how much oil you can let drain, or you can use some type of measuring receptacle or empty oil bottle.
For the next oil change you'll know exactly how much oil you need, instead of just going with a pre-"determined" quantity you read about somewhere on the Internet.
Let's say you figure out your car takes 6 1/2 quarts - with filter change. Then prefill the new filter, screw it in, add 5 quarts in the crankase, let it reach the oil pan, check your dipstick, and then add more gradually (and recheck as you go) until the level settles to the "max" level - tip of the arrow.
Take your time, as is neither perfect sience, nor brain surgery; just use your common sense.

Old 01-04-2010, 03:47 PM
1st Gear

That all sounds like sound advice and common sense I usually possess. I've changed oil my whole life on my other vehicle, but this is the first on the Audi which I must say is a bit more of a process... And I realized that usually, I've had the dealership change my oil in the winter (with my oil and filter provided), but those were Fords and the dealership charged $15 to do it. Audi shops... not do much. So since I tried to do it myself... in the cold... for the first time... it was a bit of an ordeal. My common sense obviously was fogged. Still which I knew what this sputtering thing is all about.

Old 01-04-2010, 06:10 PM
3rd Gear

My indie shop does my oil changes. For some reason I thought the 2.7T takes 7 qts but the last two times it took 6 qts of oil...and filter is always changed. So I suspect you are a quart too full. PS - I brought them 8 quarts and they gave me back 2.

Old 01-04-2010, 07:19 PM
1st Gear

stang, I also have a '01 2.7 Tip - our cars take approx. 6.7-6.8 quarts So you WERE close when you tried 7. A little bit of an over fill but it shouldn't hurt anything. Also, please always change your filter while changing oil - it is SOO easy in our cars - bleed bolt and filter are right up front - I never even jack up my car. If anything, take chef's advice and next time start w/ 6 1/2 - run her for a minute or two and let the oil circulate throughout the engine. Shut her off - recheck - and gradually add a little more (0.1-0.2 quarts each time) until you find out where your car's happy.

Chef: Our C5 A6's don't have the arrows (if they do - they must be so small I've never seen them and I've changed my oil hundreds of time LOL) But anyhow, there is the mesh area stang can measure by which is still as accurate and easy. 6.7-8 qts is where I like mine, just a lip under the max.

Now stang, about the CEL/sputtering - more information please? How many miles are on the car? Have you pulled the codes from the CEL? What are they. I JUST went through this problem last week - I have 114k and I was throwing codes PO300 (random misfire) P0302 (misfire cyl 2), and PO402 (cat converter - no worries though - was due to the misfires). Ended up being my ICMs (ignition control module/power output stages) that sit on top of the airbox. I also believe my Pulstar plugs started to fail (possibly due to the failing ICM) after only 10k miles so I replaced them also with brand new NGKs silver platinums. She's purring like a kitten now. Need codes from you though as your ICMs might be fine - start by checking your plugs (cheapest repair) for quality remaining, re-check your gap settings on the plugs (should be 0.28-0.30 in my preference for our engines) - also can test your ICMs by switching the wires connected to ea. of them by swapping sides to see if the misfire (if you have one) follows to the other side (if it's cyl 2 for instance, it then gives the code for cyl 4 misfire P0304) - if not plugs, not ICMs, check coil packs. Hope this helps

- Ben -

Last edited by 01A6Turbo; 01-04-2010 at 07:24 PM.
Old 01-05-2010, 12:53 AM
3rd Gear

I know I'm sort of derailing off topic, but here you can get an idea of how the one in my C4s is. There are two plastic sections (which I would call for a lack of better term "inserts") that mark the low and max. The tip of the arrow (etched on the plastic) points exactly at the edge of the plastic section.

Old 01-09-2010, 12:01 AM
1st Gear
Default 6.9 q

The last time I change the oil myself, I add 7 quarts and the car started to leak oil, right now is in the shop being fixed .. luckily the warranty covers it .. I went to the dealer and ask, how much oil this model need, they told me 6.9 quarts mobil synthetic .. AND NOT 7 Q ...!!

Old 01-09-2010, 12:15 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by guapo25
The last time I change the oil myself, I add 7 quarts and the car started to leak oil, right now is in the shop being fixed .. luckily the warranty covers it .. I went to the dealer and ask, how much oil this model need, they told me 6.9 quarts mobil synthetic .. AND NOT 7 Q ...!!
So am I to understand that you are saying the overfill of 0.1 Quarts caused an oil leak? That seems a bit too much for me to swallow

To 01A6Turbo, thanks for the detailed response. Unfortunately the stupidity or pure dumb luck my end was not over. It appears that the sputtering was that it was out of gas... my neighbor said that's what is sounded like. The guage said it had a 1/4 tank left, but I went and put 2 gallons in from the spare tank I have and sure it enough fired right off. Went to fill it all the way up and no problem since. Just noticed this morning that it's stuck on 1/4 tank again... Looks to me like I was out of gas but for some reason my guage is not showing anything emptier than 1/4 tank. Peculiar, but whatever, I can live with that (cuz it probably costs my first born to fix it).

Thanks all for answer my call.