Audi A8 This full sized Audi A8 sedan offers interior luxury and spaciousness comparable to any car in the full sized luxury sedan class

Transmission Woes......

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 11:45 AM
1st Gear
Default Transmission Woes......

2000 A8L 145k miles.

Took the car to the mechanic for some body work - daughter drives this car to high school - while there I had them change the tranny fluid. Wasn't having any issues, just figured it was time. (first mistake). Got the car back, ran great for a couple of days.

My daughter was coming home from school - took a route with a very steep hill. According to here, the car got about 100ft up the hill and stopped. She parked it and called me. She did tell me that earlier in the day it was "jerking" or "thumping" a little. I came to the car, backed it down the hill, seemed fine in reverse, then went to pull forward. It felt as though something was slipping - it wasn't in limp mode, it just wouldn't go forward. (kinda creeped a little, but then would "slip". (it reminded me of a clutch slipping - even though it is an auto). No lights on the dash indicating any problems.

Called tow truck. Car sat for 20 minutes or so - when the tow truck driver got there, he drove the car onto the flatbed. (I don't know if he put it in drive or 2nd?).

Mechanic tells me that we need a new tranny. Ok. He gets a rebuilt tranny, puts it in and tells me that when he backed it out of the bay it came out fine, but when he went to go up the hill by the shop something didn't work. He's convinced he got a bad tranny. So he's gotten another replacement - and I am currently waiting on that to get installed.

My questions:

Could this be a fault somewhere other than the tranny - that is still present even with the replacement in?

Does it seem odd that the tranny never went into limp mode if it was having issues?

He did tell me that the tranny had some fault codes (can't remember off the top what they were).

Just trying to get some additional insight into what might be going on.

-Mike

Old 12-23-2011, 09:14 AM
Administrator

Post up the codes that you got if you have them recorded somewhere. That'll help in determining what's going on here.