Audi Q7 The Audi Q7, beauty on and off the streets. Refined styling paired with power and advanced technology.

HELP - MMI possessed - out of control

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2016, 10:41 PM
1st Gear
Default HELP - MMI possessed - out of control

Besides needing a priest to bless the truck and remove the demons, I have no clue what else to do here.

The system would boot, then my screen would turn on, then freeze on some random navigation screen, radio is on and I cannot turn it off, none of the MMI buttons respond, after a couple of minutes, ALL of the MMI buttons glow red together, screen shuts off and the system reboots. Keeps doing this over and over again. Once in a while woman would say "Navigation Is Not Active" as if I am hitting the Destination option while in NAV mode.

Came home, purposely did not arm the alarm on it, lights in the door remain on and do not shut off, and alarm arms on its own after a while. I may be dreaming, but I think I saw the lights flash again as if it is rearming itself again. With the truck shut off, the MMI buttons are randomly changing around by itself.

And all of the CD player buttons are lit too (with the truck shut off).

I am guessing nobody has ever seen something like this, and everyone will recommend I change my MMI unit asap.

Thanks for any help or input

Neil

Old 11-24-2016, 10:18 AM
1st Gear

Looks like things got worst overnight. When I left the truck last night, the MMI lights in the center console were flashing all over the place, the screen was rebooting, and the NAV lady was talking as if I was pushing a button for NAV info. I also saw the lights in the door near the door handle glowing on. At that point, there was squat I could do, cause I was not about to unbolt my seat to pull the battery connection.

So sure enough, as luck would have it, at 5AM, my truck starts beeping away to wake everyone up, I run downstairs and outside with the keys to try and shut it off, only for it to go off again shortly after. I hop in the truck to try and figure things out, only to realize the battery is dead, truck won't start, and the reason for the beeping. After a couple of start attempts, that completely drained the battery, and no more warning beep.

This morning boosted the truck, and the thing ran perfectly, no flashing MMI lights/buttons, no rebooting screen. I brought it into an Audi garage (not dealer) to have them read the codes and change the battery. I am hoping that the battery was weak with a lower voltage, which could be the reason why the MMI was acting crazy, but not low enough not to be able to start the truck.

With a new battery and codes read, I will find out more today, and am really hoping there are no issues with the MMI board in the center console or even worst, the MMI modules in back. The last thing I want is for everything to work perfectly now, only to have the MMI modules short out on me while on a family road trip far away.

More to come ....

Old 11-25-2016, 01:41 PM
1st Gear

So spoke to my mechanic today, no scary error codes about the MMI modules, only a half dead battery that can no longer hold a decent charge so he changed out the battery. I am hoping that it was low voltage that sent the whole MMI system crazy with flashing lights and screen rebooting, and nothing more. Strange though that low voltage would affect the MMI like that, but enough juice to start the truck and run everything else without an issue. The alternator was also checked and is charging fine, so will see if the new battery solves the issue, and hopefully no more scary MMI flashing buttons and lights and screens.

Old 10-01-2020, 08:21 PM
1st Gear

I think the system monitors the battery levels and closes down non essential systems to keep enough charge to start the car maybe it was trying to shut off the nav and stereo ??