B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Seafoam, vac lines, weak turbo and a very smoky engine

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 11:12 AM
Default Seafoam, vac lines, weak turbo and a very smoky engine

Greetings!

Just got a lil problem with my Audi A4 1999.5 (100k+).

It stated as a weak boost problem. I would say it was working like that since i got the car but after reading this forum I have decided that I may have a problem.
I have a boost gauge and it shows 6-7psi. Holds good but never goes beyond this numbers. The vac is -20 when idling, -10 when im waiting for a traffic light. When approaching 6-7psi the gauge stars to make a "bzzzzzzzzz" noise... I can't say however that it runs bad - i don't have anything to compare with, this is my first audi and first turbo car so ...

I also had stall problem... when i stop, rpm drops low, almost to the stall point but it quickly recovers. Happens only when the car is cold. After 15 - 20 mins everything is fine. I also had occassional misfire cyl 2, happened only when it was REALLY cold and the car was parked for 8 hours or more. Maybe happened twice ... I switched the coil packs but it never happened again...

While thinking about turbo I have replaced N75 and EV check valve (it was VERY bad). It hepled a little, the car rush better but PSI still at the mark.

Today I have decided to do a seaform. I have added this thing to gas tank, decided to skip the oil part as im not going to change the oil right now and proceeded to intake part. THE CAR WAS CLEAR OF ANY ERROR CODES BEFORE THAT, NO ANY VISIBLE LEAKS EITHER. During the process the white smoke started to come out as described in DIY ... but ... it also started to come out of the **engine area**. I tried to locate spot but it was pretty much impossible as the smoke was huge. It was coming out from the O2 sensor area, somewhere under the heat shield i guess (whatever is it under the packs)... I am not sure what is that - i know i have to replace some vac lines, as they visually bad, but this doesn't look like it is coming from vac lines ...

I would highly appreciate any input here.

Have no idea where it is coming from and what do i have to do next ...
And BTW ... after that it thrown two codes - Fuel Bank 1 too lean (which can be due to disconnection of manif line i guess) and Missfire cyl 1 (which has the coil pack from cyl 2 where I had missfire before). I cleared them and the haven't come back yet... and I can't say the i had THAT much smoke coming out of the ex as pictured in DIY.

I am sorry if something doesn't sounds right here - my first audi and first turbo car ...

thanks

Old 04-22-2008, 12:09 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Seafoam, vac lines, weak turbo and a very smoky engine

Sounds like you have discovered your problem as the smoke is the source of a leak somewheres around the turbo which is why you were experiencing low boost. Due to the "bzzzzzng" noises you were hearing prior to the seafoam treatment it could very well be the infamous wastegate valve (internally)in the turbo failing that is ineffectively holding your boost thereforethe boost is leaking = white smoke at the spot. I would further investigate thesourceof the leak before attempting a turbo replacement which is unfortunately the only way to resolve the wastegate valve issue unless you know how to rebuildthe unit. Let me also say that is only speculation I am making onmy previous experiences with the buzzing noises/ low boost.This MAY OR MAY NOT BE your problem.The wastegate is located at the back of the turbo on the inner-side facing the engine block. Good luck and keep us posted!

Old 04-22-2008, 01:31 PM

Hello, thank you for the info -

The "bzzzzz" sound comes from the boost gauge itself (thats 100%) ... i think it is just crappy piece of junk (i've seen those in local store for like 20$). Also, mine hooks to the "turbo port" while i've seen some people use t fitting into the line from valve to mf. Whats the difference?

Ill try to replace vac lines, maybe it will help. Should I replace the other lines (three lines coming from N75, e.t.c) as well? What size are they?

PS. I have a friend who can rebuild a turbo and i also got a kit, but it is harder to get it out as i live in apartments and servicing my car on the parking lot :-) We have replaced tranny on subaru impreza last summer, but that was kinda gross as we were step away to get arrested ... LOL

Thanks,

Old 04-23-2008, 02:41 AM
4th Gear

Buzzing is normal for cheap gauges. You can buy a t-attachment which has a restriction in it to prevent the buzzing. With a K03 turbo, it is only going to give you 6-7 PSI unless you chip your car. You will get lots of smoke with the seafoam, especially if you put some in the vacuum lines.Smoke could be coming from lots or areas such as badgaskets, cracked manifold, leaky exhaust flex valve.

I would not replace your turbo. It sound perfectly fine

First thing if you have just bought the car is to make sure that the basic maintenance has been done. You like your car and don't know how the previous person took care of it.

So, invest some money and change the air filter, spark plugs, change all the fluids and gear oil in transmissions and differential, consider when you may need to do the timing belt.

Change the oil to synthetic, buy the larger Mann filters.

Check all the hoses carefully for cracking loose connections or loose clamps. Check the grey and white check valves for cracks and wear, especially the one behind the air filter box.

Consider cleaning thethrottle bodywith some iTB cleaner and a soft toothbrush. Do not use carb cleaner for this job. The other possibility that is a cheap fix for stalling is the temperature sensor.

Once all this is done, replace the diverter valve with the N710 from the TT and get a chip. That will give you 16 to 17 PSI and will transform the car.

Old 04-24-2008, 09:13 AM

Thank you for the info,

I am driving this car for 6 months already.
Timing belt was changed immideately (with all stuff ... rollers, water pump e.t.c). 3-3.5k miles syntetic oil. Throttle body was cleaned & actuator was replaced while on vacation in Florida. This was a sort of rip off - cause i wasn't sure whats wrong and i had to get back to school in Minneapolis two days (2100 miles away from florida) - so i just kinda needed the car up and running asap so i paid $800 to German Auto World (North Miami i think). Previously the vehicle was leased and there are a lot of maintaince record on car fax ... Also changed temp sensor to fix temp gauge problem.

Actions taken:

I have replaced most of the vac lines, some boost line, check valves (one after the airbox was literally falling apart) and N75. I found couple cracks in various lines. Almost everything around airbox had some cracks (especially t-thing before EV check valve). Changed coil pack on first cyl.
DV still pending. Not sure if i wann touch that and chip as ill probably get a new car in october or november - something like 04-05 A4 from dealer.

Results archived:

The car drives better. Actually much better. The psi increased +3 maybe BUT the dynamic and response improved dramatically!
The ocassional stalling had gone and the idle is better! That's amazing!
I spent roughly $300 on all that stuff (got N75 from dealer) with tools and i am pretty much happy.
The MPG in city / highway mix has increased. Roughly ~420 miles on 15 gal.

Ill let the turbo be. It seems to operate as it supposed to. It could be leaking oil however - the compartment is dirty and it was hard to say - i cleaned everything and ill just check later. Will change it when it diex.

Old 04-25-2008, 10:15 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: agazoo

The MPG in city / highway mix has increased. Roughly ~420 miles on 15 gal.

[/align][/align]I am definately not living right -- on a good tank I'll get 220 miles with about the same car as you. I guess the chip really hits up the mpg! LOL![/align]

Old 05-16-2008, 12:50 PM

Hopefully will get APR chip today. Will see the difference ...

Old 05-16-2008, 12:59 PM
Administrator

You'll definitely see a difference when you chip it.

Old 05-16-2008, 01:57 PM

Oh yeah ... ill definitely see a difference in my bank account, for like $400 ... LOL,

BTW, I spoke with GIAC guy today and he told me that GIAC is going to release flashable software for pre 99.5 vehicles. So as I understand it, this will make software open for cloners ...