B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

Looking at buying a B6...

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 05:21 PM
Default Looking at buying a B6...

I've been looking at getting an A4 for daily driving. My daily driver just crapped out on me and my other car, a 93 Toyota Mr2 turbo, is not going to cut it year round!

I think I might have found a couple for around 10-12k with 65-80k on them. Is that a good deal? How long does the 1.8t motor last? Is it due for a timing belt change at these miles already? Also, do all 02+ come with HID lights, leather interior, heated seats? What is the difference in the sport setup? Is it just lower springs, stiffer struts, and better(?)sway bars(and the 17s)??? I want a manual, but why are there 5-speeds and 6-speeds? Also, why are automatics so common?

Even if I do get the sport edition, I would throw on some lower springs and some 18s for the summer. I like my wheels wide and flush with the fenders... how wide can I go and what is a good offset to get? Nine/ten inches??? I would like to try to avoid running spacers. I'm guessing you don't run stagger wheels/tires on an awd car!

Here is my mr2... this how I would like the wheels to fit:

Old 03-13-2009, 05:34 PM
2nd Gear

At 80k be ready to do the timing belt, its recommended at 85k. They do not all have HID, but they do all have projectors. Some are halogen and some are xenon. They dont all have leather, most have vinyl that looks like leather. They dont all come with heated seats, thats part of the cold weather package. They changed from a 5 to 6 speed at some point, maybe in 04? Not sure. From what ive seen there arent that many with the sport package, but you can tell bc the car will be quite a bit lower. I dont have it so idk what the differences are. Just bc a car has 17s does not mean it has the sport package.

Be sure to have service records before you buy an a4. These have an oil sludge problem if the oil is not changed regularly with synthetic oil.

Old 03-13-2009, 05:38 PM
1st Gear

I just got a 2005 A4 1.8T for 15K with 35K miles and its certified. I like the ride. I was told by the Audi guys that all mayor Maintenance hits @ around 85K-90K. Mine is a normal 1.8, it has the Proyectors but not HID, no heated seats and its a CVT. I like the ride is a huge up-grade from my other car, a 1999 Galant. which now is my commute car.

Old 03-13-2009, 11:48 PM
1st Gear

first off, congrats on owning my favorite car, as soon as I chip the A4, I'm seriously getting into the market for an MR2. Wanted one since I was like 8, lol

As far as standard features, it'll vary. 6 speed was available as of 2004 (I believe), it may be ultrasports only trim level. As for heated seats, part of a package. Either way you go, basic Audi sound system or Bose Symphony, you'll want some upgrades. Head unit is okay, but bose speakers suck. I am limping by with two Boston Acoustics subs in my trunk, but I will need to replace the speakers soon (which, as I understand, run on a proprietary impedance, so a new Amp has to be done at the same time). If you aren't an audiophile, stock will be fine.

I have the 17's, but not the sport package. Mine has leather, heated (mirrors are heated as well, a NICE feature to not have to de-ice them by hand...), and Xenons. The halogens also have the projector lens (as I understand it anyways, there is a grand total of one other B6 Audi A4 driving around my city...), so telling Xenon vs Halogen will be slightly confusing unless you know what you are looking for. All fog lights are halogen, so if the headlights match in color when on...

I have a 5 speed, and I have to say its a whole heck of a lot easier installing the short throw shift kit in that than the 6 speed. Hopefully that helps!