B8 Models Please discuss all 2009+ B8 A4 topics here...

Problem with Airbag Control Unit

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 04:51 AM
1st Gear
Default Problem with Airbag Control Unit

Hi All,

Newbie here ... Want to thank you all first for all your valuable info I have got from this site in the past.

I have an issue with my 2005 A4 Airbag Control Unit which has recently gone bad. I managed to get exactly the same part number from eBay which worked successfully. My friend who is a VAG Engineer managed to recode the unit to clear some of the many faults which appeared in the diags.

The only issue we now have is that the unit requires additional recoding with the Vehicle Identification Number. This can't be done with the laptop version of the software he has (especially as it was VW spec, rather than Audi). Took it to a dealer who had a cursory look and decided I needed a new clean Airbag Control unit (about £400 !!!!)

As I am 90% of the way there, I feel a little beaten if I just get the dealer to replace the unit when I have gone to so much trouble to get this done for a fraction of the price.

I was wondering if there was any way you can clear the unit with the current VIN number to make it look like a new one ? I guess then the Audi software would be able to reprogram it.

Any help would be most appreciated and thanks again ...

Old 03-31-2012, 01:17 PM
Tech Certified

Your VAG friend is an idiot with a laptop.

A Vagcom is a tool for tuners.... to make simple changes in coding. Read faults. That kind of thing.

It doesn't have the ability to replace and code control modules with the car, an internet connection and Geko account and passwords to link Audi Germany servers is needed.

All manufacturers design their software and cars so you have to bring it to the dealer.

Old 03-31-2012, 04:15 PM
Tech Certified

Originally Posted by Audi Tek

A Vagcom is a tool for tuners.... to make simple changes in coding. Read faults. That kind of thing.

It doesn't have the ability to replace and code control modules with the car, an internet connection and Geko account and passwords to link Audi Germany servers is needed.

All manufacturers design their software and cars so you have to bring it to the dealer.
Mr Audi Tek , i have a independant repair shop & have the capability to do full coding & programming on BMW & Mercedes Benz vehicles.
Most of the time you can just get away with simple coding on the VAG products with the Vag Com. I know on later year Vag cars this is probably true but have replaced many a module with the workshop & code numbers.
I also have a 5052 setup but it does not go on line.
What i am trying to say is some times you have to find the right shop with the right tools. I too used to work at dealers (it sucked).
There are independant shops out there that possibly can do it for you. If they have a Autologic or a connection & GECO account like Auditek says.

Old 04-02-2012, 04:37 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Audi Tek

Audi Tek,

Thanks for your reply ...

My friend is not an idiot with a laptop, he has managed to reprogram the unit with the correct coding for the airbag configuration.

It is just that the software (as it is VW) does not cater for reprogramming the unit with the vehicle's VIN number, only a new unit can be reprogrammed fresh. I just wondered if anyone had any experience of clearing the memory on these units so they can be reprogrammed.

Quite happy to take or send the unit off to any independent garages which provide this kind of service.

Old 04-02-2012, 04:39 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by M5S5
Mr Audi Tek , i have a independant repair shop & have the capability to do full coding & programming on BMW & Mercedes Benz vehicles.
Most of the time you can just get away with simple coding on the VAG products with the Vag Com. I know on later year Vag cars this is probably true but have replaced many a module with the workshop & code numbers.
I also have a 5052 setup but it does not go on line.
What i am trying to say is some times you have to find the right shop with the right tools. I too used to work at dealers (it sucked).
There are independant shops out there that possibly can do it for you. If they have a Autologic or a connection & GECO account like Auditek says.
Hi M5S5,

Thanks for your help ... Do you know of any shops like yours that provide the same service for Audi ?

Thanks ...

Old 04-02-2012, 07:51 AM
Tech Certified

Originally Posted by tisgroup
Audi Tek,

Thanks for your reply ...

My friend is not an idiot with a laptop, he has managed to reprogram the unit with the correct coding for the airbag configuration.

It is just that the software (as it is VW) does not cater for reprogramming the unit with the vehicle's VIN number, only a new unit can be reprogrammed fresh. I just wondered if anyone had any experience of clearing the memory on these units so they can be reprogrammed.

Quite happy to take or send the unit off to any independent garages which provide this kind of service.
I never had to send a car to the dealer for VAG programming before. Most everything is just coded to the vehicle.

Having said that , You should absolutly not be using a used control module for the air bag system! They should be illegal to sell just like the air bags themselves.

Last edited by M5S5; 04-02-2012 at 07:57 AM.