General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Change your power steering fluid!!!! 05 A6

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2016, 05:48 PM
1st Gear
Default Change your power steering fluid!!!! 05 A6

2005 Audi A6 Quattro 3.2 170k miles. Power steering began to get heavy and didn't turn easy at low speeds. I knew something was up. My mechanic told be to change the power steering fluid

I took a liquid injector for turkey's or a roast. remove the needle. Stick it into the power fluid reservoir and suck it out.You can also use a turkey baster. It takes almost a quart. You will have to add new fluid run the car move the steering wheel around and repeat until the fluid is all clean. I used Lucas power steering fluid with conditioner. It moves like butter now. Smooth as silk. The old fluid was black as coal. I use Lucas for everything from my motorcycle chain to injector cleaner. Lucas is a great product. You DONT need to use Audi fluid. Lucas is compatible with every car. And Audi fluid is a rip off.

Old 06-21-2016, 07:31 PM
1st Gear

You're still leaving a lot of old fluid in the system doing it that way (it's still inside the rack assembly down below).

Old 06-22-2016, 08:44 AM
2nd Gear

yep.. You need need to disconnect the lines at the rack and turn it back and forth a few times to manually pump the fluid in the rack out into a catch pan.

The Audi Fluid is Mineral Oil based but you can get the same stuff from Blauparts a little cheaper.

Old 06-22-2016, 10:34 AM
1st Gear
Default Yes but

Originally Posted by dave944
yep.. You need need to disconnect the lines at the rack and turn it back and forth a few times to manually pump the fluid in the rack out into a catch pan.

The Audi Fluid is Mineral Oil based but you can get the same stuff from Blauparts a little cheaper.
I know I'm still leaving SOME OLD FLUID IN but it's clear now, runs better and I pulled out about a quart of old fluid which its capacity
So this is the easy way to do it without going under the car
Worked for me. I do it every two years and costs me 20 bucks.

Old 06-22-2016, 11:09 AM
1st Gear

I agree that it's better than not changing it at all! As long as you're mixing compatible fluid in... some power steering fluid types have been known to play havoc with the type of rubber seals Audi used, and causes them to fail.

BTW, Prestone now makes a power steering fluid for European cars, and it's sold at Walmarts around here...
Prestone® Power Steering Fluid for European Vehicles | Prestone®

It's dark green in color, and looks, feels, and smells just like Pentosin CHF 11S.

Old 06-23-2016, 09:22 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by CheckerBird
I agree that it's better than not changing it at all! As long as you're mixing compatible fluid in... some power steering fluid types have been known to play havoc with the type of rubber seals Audi used, and causes them to fail.

BTW, Prestone now makes a power steering fluid for European cars, and it's sold at Walmarts around here...
Prestone® Power Steering Fluid for European Vehicles | Prestone®

It's dark green in color, and looks, feels, and smells just like Pentosin CHF 11S.
Yeah but Lucas is the best product ever compatible with brownie mix too