General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

engine oil change

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 04:13 PM
1st Gear
Default engine oil change

This forum doesn't really have alot of threads on how to change engine oil on 06 A4. I'll be changing engine oil on my friend's 06 a4, so i need help this is my first time changing oil on an european car.
1) i heard that mobile 1 0w-40 and castrol 5w-40 systhetic are good options. which one do you recommend? it seems like 0w-40 oil turned black before 1000miles left. Should i try mobile1 5w-40 OR castrol 5w-40??
2) If i need a drain plug gasket, then what kind do i need? gasket or crush washer?
3) What oil filter is good for 06 a4?? also, i 'm having problem with understanding how to replace the filter. Do you just take out the old filter and replace with a new one?

thx guys

Old 04-09-2010, 07:05 PM
1st Gear

bump for number 2.. question

Old 04-14-2010, 08:19 PM
1st Gear

there is a DIY on here somewhere, I happen to be searching the same thing to verify the best weight...

I am going with a Synthetic and the parts guy at Audi told me 5W30 for my 2.0T. Summers can be a little warm here, I know when I live in Atlanta, they put 20W50 in me Jetta...

The filter doesn't look that difficult, and if you buy one from Audi it come with a nifty little instruction pack.

Old 04-14-2010, 08:23 PM
1st Gear
Old 04-15-2010, 03:29 AM
1st Gear

i did the oil change after watching the DIY you linked. Do you know where the black gasket with a hole in the center might go in the second picture?
After i put everything back in, i found those two on the ground...lol

Also, on the inside left side of the wheel fender, i tried to screw back in the black plastic screw with wide surface head but doesn't screw into a plate that is behind it..

Old 04-15-2010, 10:45 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by whoisthis
i did the oil change after watching the DIY you linked. Do you know where the black gasket with a hole in the center might go in the second picture?
After i put everything back in, i found those two on the ground...lol

Also, on the inside left side of the wheel fender, i tried to screw back in the black plastic screw with wide surface head but doesn't screw into a plate that is behind it..
well depending on how many times you've had it serviced elsewhere you may or may not have as many of those rubber washers left... I actually found the plastic pan underneath the tranny, some jackass had broken it and attached it back with a zip tie and a drilled hole.

If you have 2 extras, I would make sure that the 2 that connect the exterior front bumper to the pan are fitted, and if so, I would check the 2 where the motor pan connects to the transmission pan, beyond that, stick them anywhere else, or don't. :idk:

It can be a little tricky to get everything to fit right...the screw closest to the fender well might be the trickiest...

On mine there is a little splash guard at the front of the well...you have to look and see that the guard is in proper orientation to the well itself...iirc, it slides up on the outside of the wheel well guard...then the front pan has a couple tongues and the wheel well kind of sandwiches in between them as it is going up...then you have to wiggle everything a bit, and the bottom part of the splash guard goes under the pan.

You gotta make sure all your holes are lined up, and also there are little metal clips that the screws go into, they can get knocked sideways etc... the 2 screws where the trans and motor pan line up, you have to go through both pans and lastly find the hole/clip.

After you've done this about 20 times it becomes easy

Old 04-16-2010, 03:27 AM
1st Gear
Angry

Originally Posted by SlackJaw
well depending on how many times you've had it serviced elsewhere you may or may not have as many of those rubber washers left... I actually found the plastic pan underneath the tranny, some jackass had broken it and attached it back with a zip tie and a drilled hole.

If you have 2 extras, I would make sure that the 2 that connect the exterior front bumper to the pan are fitted, and if so, I would check the 2 where the motor pan connects to the transmission pan, beyond that, stick them anywhere else, or don't. :idk:

It can be a little tricky to get everything to fit right...the screw closest to the fender well might be the trickiest...

On mine there is a little splash guard at the front of the well...you have to look and see that the guard is in proper orientation to the well itself...iirc, it slides up on the outside of the wheel well guard...then the front pan has a couple tongues and the wheel well kind of sandwiches in between them as it is going up...then you have to wiggle everything a bit, and the bottom part of the splash guard goes under the pan.

You gotta make sure all your holes are lined up, and also there are little metal clips that the screws go into, they can get knocked sideways etc... the 2 screws where the trans and motor pan line up, you have to go through both pans and lastly find the hole/clip.

After you've done this about 20 times it becomes easy

The splash guard went under the wheel well just like the RIGHT one. the right one fitted fine. I did same to the left one but the screw doesn't hold the splash guard..

Old 04-16-2010, 10:52 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by whoisthis
The splash guard went under the wheel well just like the RIGHT one. the right one fitted fine. I did same to the left one but the screw doesn't hold the splash guard..
interesting--well you might check the metal clip and see if it's out of place...

Some of my screws were kind of floppy loose, but they are holding.

Not sure what else to tell you - pics maybe?