Interior What have you done to the inside of your ride? Customized it? Kept it super clean? Talk about it here.

Anyone re-cover their steering wheel?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 10:57 PM
3rd Gear
Default Anyone re-cover their steering wheel?

I was wondering if anyone has attempted this DIY or if anyone has experience sending their steering wheel out to be professionally re-covered.

I'd rather not shell out money to buy a new wheel. The leather was wearing through when I purchased the car from the previous owner and has steadily gotten worse. I have some suede at home (leftover from my trim project) and was thinking of using it. It'll probably be easier to send the damn thing out.....there is a part of me though that wants to try to do the job myself.

Old 03-24-2010, 01:05 AM
Administrator

I would go for it if you can sew but be prepared to send it out if necessary. I'd love to have mine redone as well. I would be sparing with tge suede though - it'll probably wear fairly quickly. I'll probably grab a spare wheel at the junkyard and have it redone to swap in afterward. I'm planning on S4 suede seats in the future and at that time I'd get the wheel done. I want new black leather with a suede insert in the bottom section where the sport emblem is.

Old 03-24-2010, 12:45 PM
AudiForums WilkommenVagen Direktor

check with an upholsterer in your area. I know a lot of them around here do work on cars as well as furniture. Most can do a steering wheel "while you wait". No need to remove the wheel.

Old 03-25-2010, 02:06 PM
3rd Gear

Thanks guys. Out of all I have searched, many say it is more prudent to take it to a shop and just have them knock it out. I'm just soooo tempted to take off the stock leather cover and try it myself. Maybe I'll look for a cheapo 4 spoke wheel on Craigslist or Ebay and see what I can do......

Either way.....I'll keep you posted