S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

My RS6 build log.

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 12:39 AM
2nd Gear

mike, your setup looks sic.. ridiculous man, and im glad your still doing it and not selling it all.. cant wait to see it in action.. and im gonna have some serious videos on soon.. gotta figure this problem out.. its so wierd.. runs freaking awesome, and then it cuts out and limits boost to 11 psi.. 2nd and 3rd gear to redline is ridiculous.. i can easily say this is the fastest car ive ever driven.. and i have scared the crap outta everyone thats gone for a ride.. especially when i got the exhaust done and added 45 whp or so.... 25 psi peak boost is scary... well good luck with the rest of your build man.. looks great...

Old 09-11-2009, 07:56 AM
1st Gear

If you have any interest in purchasing my car complete (no I will not part out anything) than please DO NOT PM me nor reply here in this thread. Serious buyers with cash in hand (you don't get financing on a car like this) should contact me via email at jibberjive at aol.com. I won't be posting a price here because I don't want any comments about the possible sale or anything to do with the sale cluttering this thread because I'm still going to be completing the build and updating this thread. There's also a chance that it doesn't sell before I complete it and keep it, so I don't want to divebomb this thread. Pretend like nothing happened[>_<]

So, I've completed a comprehensive writeup of my car's story, details, and mods. I plan on making some ads on all of the boards as well when I get some time. Because of a potential business opportunity I'm putting the car up for sale as a complete turn-key mint GT car with 0 miles while I finish it on my own timeframe. If I lock up a buyer before I buy the fueling myself, the buyer can have the tuner of their choice. If they catch me really quick I could even go 3.0l instead if they want. If it sells, I have everything setup so that I just flip the switches and should be able to complete it in 3-4 weeks or less. If it doesn't sell before I complete it on my own timeframe, then I take it off the market and enjoy the beauty for the rest of my/her life[]

I like to be thorough, so if you're just looking for the specs and don't care about the history, just skip the next couple of paragraphs.

-The story behind the car-

I was stuck on buying a Casablanca White S4 with certain stipulations and literally looked for over a year for this car in this condition with these options (casa, 6-speed, non-black interior, low mileage, no accidents, heated seats.) My search came to an end only by propositioning a guy in NY when it wasn't even for sale. I flew out, bought it with 49k on it and shipped it back to UT. I've only put about 7k mi on it in the 18+ months I've owned it, so it currently sits about 56k IIRC (I haven't driven it over 8 months and wasn't my daily driver to begin with.) This build has been 3+ years in the making and it is like selling my baby, but the only way I can justify it is because of a potential business deal. I'm obviously an enthusiast and I used to work for Audi. The previous owner was also an enthusiast and this was his second casa white S4. The owner before that was an Audi tech. The car was one of 12 chosen for the 2009 Audizine calendar (it was Mr. June[]) and may have other exposure opportunities pending its completion[]

-The story behind the build-

As most of you are aware, I started out this build with the intent to build the ultimate daily driver/ weekend road course racer (and occasional drag strip go-er.) Originally I had a set of RS6 turbos that I was going to use on the completely built motor with built 2.8 heads. I was then in a dilemma because I figured that since I'm completely building the motor anyways I should get some bigger turbos that would utilize that higher potential of the motor better than the RS6's. I was conflicted because on the other hand I had strict design goals that I wasn't willing to compromise on (good powerband for the street and smooth-ish delivery for the road course, minimal turbo lag, and reliability.) I then formulated what I think is the perfect compromise for this car/engine and decided to go with a turbo that, to my knowledge, noone in the world has put on an S4. I chose the Garrett GT2860R-707160-7 (you can compare it to the GT28RS HERE.) The GT2860-7 turbo has the same compressor and turbine wheel diameter as the GT28RS (big 60mm compressor and 53.8mm turbine wheels), but the trim of both of the wheels are smaller on the GT2860-7 (compressor wheel and turbine wheel trims for the GT2860-7 are 55 and 62 respectively compared to 62 and 76 for the GT28RS.) Also, the compressor housing A/R on the GT2860-7 is quite a bit smaller than the GT28RS at .42 compared to .60. These differences in trim and housing size should make the GT2860-7 spool way before what people are currently seeing with GT28RS setups, yet they should retain some of that top end because these are still rather large turbos indeed. The GT2860-7 shares the same technology as the GT28RS that makes their turbine efficiency ~10% higher (75% vs. 65%) than the GT2560R's and GT2554R's that people run on the S4. Compared to the RS6's, the GT2860-7's should see somewhat similar spool with their more efficient ball bearing technology and top-of-the-line custom exhaust manifolds and external wastegates, but they should have way more potential and top end power by virtue of their wheels that are quite a bit bigger (the RS6 has a 56mm compressor wheel compared to 60mm for the GT2860-7 (they're both about the same trim)) as well as their bigger hotside housings.

Enough about the turbos though, all that technical jargon is saying is that these turbos should spool very well and be manageable on the street, but have awesome peak power potential as well. Once I decided on these turbos I sold my RS6 setup and had Agrtonic Motorsport build me a custom setup for these turbos. If one were to not care about lag so much and wanted to go for max power, then they could easily swap in the GT2860-5's, which is the exact same turbo as the GT28RS, it just has the same funky housing bolt pattern that my GT2860-7's have.

For the clutch, since this is going to be a daily driver I didn't want to deal with a clutch that is like a light switch as well as noisy and uncomfortable to drive. That's why I opted to not go with a twin-disc but instead went with the next strongest thing that still maintains the driveability. I went with a Clutchmaster's FX450 6 pucked disc with sintered iron material and their steel single mass flywheel to try to avoid any flywheel chatter. Mike at WMS has run this same setup successfully in some GT S4's already, and again I feel like I found the perfect compromise of grabbing ability and daily drivability.

I went with completely built 2.8 heads for the increased flow of these big turbos, but chose to retain the stock forged Mahle pistons, and decided to do so for a couple of reasons. My goal in building this car is to build the ultimate daily driver/weekend road racer. With that I want to retain as good of gas mileage as I can, and I've heard of some of the RS6 turbo setup people getting 25-30mpg. With these even bigger turbos I bet I can get at least as good (if I don't spool[].) Also, I want to have OEM-like reliability and I've heard of a couple of 3.0l and 2.8l cars that consume oil (though that shouldn't be an issue with a builder the caliber of Jarl, my machinist.) Also, IMO it's not worth the money to go 2.8 with new pistons because that .1l difference of displacement is pretty much negligible with regards to spool and overall power, and any drop in compression could be similarly achieved reliably with headgaskets (Simpply's car was running like 40psi on thicker headgaskets.) A combination of all of this and a desire for OEM-like reliability led me to retain the stock pistons and displacement.

As I'm sure you can tell, I've paid incredible attention to detail because I was planning on never selling the car.

Onto the details! Here's a list of the mods and details:

-Exterior-

-OEM RS4 bumper complete with RS4 bumper supports, RS4 mesh grills and RS4 foglights
-OEM Euro Rear Bumper (rare-ish and spendy)
-OEM RS4 front hood grill
-Depo E-codes (brand new and I just had the headlights and RS4 foglights 3m coated)
-DDM 55w HID slim ballast kit
-Fiber Images carbon fiber trunk including CF frame, custom painted
-Black painted roof
-Suntek Carbon Series 20% tint (their highest line, non-metalic carbon dyed film with a lifetime fade warranty, installed just before I put in in the garage)
-Flik Arctic 18 x 8.5's black with polished lip, w/ Falken ZX-912's (5 wheels because of full size spare). These weigh around 21lbs each IIRC and could also make a good track rim if you need to stuff a huge BBK.
-H&R coilovers
-I've got in.pro sport mirrors that you I can swap for you if you'd rather have the sport mirrors rather than the white

-Interior- (all brand new except for the pedals)

-AWE vent boost gauge, new style
-AWE silver metal pedals
-JHM short shifter, 1" drop in height
-Carbon fiber beltline trim (it's taken off the car just about to be sent off to the CF guy who promised a quick turn-around time)
-OEM RS4 black air-soft shift ****
-Engine-

-Custom GT exhaust manifolds, 3" v-band (on both ends) downpipes, and custom GT inlets from Agtronic (only manis and DP's in the world to fit these turbos.)
-TiAL MV-S 38mm v-band wastegates in silver with 1bar springs (the springs on these are way less expensive to replace than the 44mm v-band one)- routed to recirculate back into the downpipes
-Garrett GT2860R-707160-7 turbos
-AN oil and coolant lines for the GT turbos from ATP
-Eurojet Kugel (grenade) diverter valves in silver
-Evolution Racewerks (ER) side mount intercoolers
-SDR X-1 Carbon Fiber Intake with AEM dryflo filter
OR
-RS4 Airbox - your choice
-Custom dual 3" to single 4" exhaust with a resonator and flat black Vibrant 1155 dual tip muffler
-Samco TBB
-2.8l heads with 2.8 cams
-034/Supertech 1mm oversized high temp steel intake valves
-034/Supertech high temp inconel exhaust valves
-034/Supertech intake valve springs with titanium retainers
-034/Supertech dual exhaust valve springs with titanium retainers
-Heads were hottanked, mating surfaces decked, 3-angle valve job, the valve seats modified to accommodate the 1mm oversize valves, and had new guides and valve stem seals put in. The coolant ports that you need to tap and plug to run the 2.8 heads on the 2.7t were installed as well. Also new cam gaskets, cam plugs, cam tensioner gaskets, valve cover gaskets, and valley gasket between the heads
-034 compression dropping headgaskets, 9.0 CR
-Eurospec non-stretch headbolts
-034 phenolic intake manifold spacers
-2001.5 intake manifold that is either gasket matched or transition intake manifold spacers
-Integrated Engineering (IE) forged connecting rods with ARP 2000 rod bolts
-New front and rear main seals, rod and main bearings, thrust washers, main bolts, piston rings with the cyliners honed, the block hottanked and decked, rotating assembly balanced, new oil pump o-rings (I'm not replacing the oil pump because the motor only has 46k miles on it), upper and lower oil pan sealant, new vaccum lines for the DV's
-New timing belt service (timing belt, serpentine belt, metal impeller water pump, thermostat, timing belt idlers, timing belt damper, relay tensioner leveler, coolant flush)
-Clutchmasters FX450 6-puck clutch with sintered iron faces, new flywheel bolts and throwout bearing (supposedly handles the higher power better and lasts longer than the normal FX400, but uses the same pressure plate and is just as easy to daily drive)
-Clutchmasters Steel Lightweight Flywheel
-New tranny fluid with Redline MT-90
-New differential fluid
-New power steering fluid
-New, clean and white coolant reservoir
-New auxiliary water pump
-New 02 sensor
-New passenger EGT sensor
-New (used OEM, I didn't like the EMPI I had on there previously) passenger axle half-shaft
-New updated coolant temp sensor
-ASP DTS bar
-JHM solid polyurethane DTS mount
-JHM shifter linkage
-JHM delrin shifter arm bushing
-034 Track Density motor mounts
-034 Track Density transmission mounts
-034 Poly Snub Mount w/cage
-T-bolt clamps on pressurized hoses
-Bosch 044 in-tank fuel pump

Tenative Fueling
-Bosch EV14 83lb injectors
-Bosch F5DPOR plugs
-85mm MAF housing
-Custom tune

-Maintenance and Notes-

-All control arms were replaced shortly before I bought it at 49k mi
-Pads and rotors were done at approx 41k mi
-The fenders were professionally rolled and can accommodate 19 x 8.5 wheels without rubbing
-Comes with touch up paint (previous owner had it from when he had the RS4 front and Euro rear painted, there's been no paint otherwise (other than the black roof))
-Comes with the coilover adjuster wrenches
-Clean carfax (at least it was when I bought it and nothing has happened since[])
-The pixels in the center display of the cluster gauge are 100% functional
-I've got the extras like the stock trunk and bumper if someone doesn't dig those for some reason, and they're negotiable
-It's got a custom anti-theft feature that I'll explain to the new buyer
-Brake fluid was flushed last year with high temp racing fluid Motul RBF 600
-The interior is treated and maintained with Leatherique products
-Jarl, my machine shop guy at Fuel, Air, and Spark Technologies, is a killer engine builder who's really big with the local EVO and Suby guys. He's done every one of the local big power S4's as well (2 RS6 S4's and one GT (raketeS4, dpaudi, and CobraKiller on here)
-Just to give an example of the level of care and maintenance this car has had, the car was a CPO until 46k mi and the previous owner had the timing belt replaced preventatively at 44k (the current motor is a different one however and that's why I'm doing the complete timing belt service again on it. The new motor had 46k original miles before being built.) I have been known to avoid brush washes like the plague and always warmed up and cooled down the turbos (I thought I was going to stay stage 2+ haha.) I treat all of my motors with AutoRX. Obviously I'm super **** about my cars, and if I were looking to buy a car I'd be looking for someone like myself to buy from[>_<]

Here's some pics of the car and of all of the equipment:

Name:  281149684noplate.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  56.4 KB

Name:  281151050_h4JM8-O.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  148.3 KB

Name:  cobbdyno.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  37.7 KB

Name:  SaltFlats066.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  17.7 KB

Name:  P1050019.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  39.0 KB

Name:  P2160005.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  49.5 KB

The DP's are now terminated with a v-band as well

These are now terminated with v-band flanges as well

Old 09-11-2009, 07:58 AM
1st Gear

Name:  P5280242.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  92.3 KB

Name:  P5280210.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  89.2 KB

Name:  P5280229.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  61.2 KB

Oil and Coolant Lines

Name:  P5280250.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  82.7 KB

Name:  P5180052.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  67.1 KB

Name:  P5180039.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  68.8 KB

Name:  P5180019.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  72.0 KB

Name:  P5180025.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  51.6 KB

Name:  P5180035.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  63.4 KB

Name:  PC100041.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  47.9 KB

Name:  PC210002.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  70.4 KB

ARP 2000 Rod Bolts

Name:  PC210003.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  80.8 KB

Name:  P6160009.jpg
Size:  74.6 KB

Name:  P6160019.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  59.9 KB

Old 09-11-2009, 08:06 AM
1st Gear

Name:  P6160028.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  59.8 KB

034 Engine, Tranny, and Snub mounts

Name:  PC210007.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  77.1 KB

Name:  P4060010.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  70.5 KB

Name:  P4060034.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  55.7 KB

Name:  P2260006.jpg
Views: 240
Size:  55.2 KB

RS4 airbox

Name:  PC210050.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  57.2 KB

Vibrant 1155 Muffler

New RS4 shift **** and JHM SS

Name:  PC210005.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  72.1 KB

Name:  P2230093.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  39.9 KB

That's the factory protective shipping covering, not the 3M film

Name:  P2230096.jpg
Size:  60.5 KB

55w HID kit

Name:  P2230077.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  47.6 KB

I've got way too much time, effort and money in this to car and am by no means just looking to dump it. If one were to go to ASP or WMS and have them buy and build you a turn key GT S4 with a built motor, 2.8 heads and the very best of everything, it'll very likely be more out the door than what I'm asking however (and it most definitely wouldn't be on a pristine, low mileage, non-accident Casablanca White car with the other mods that I have such as OEM RS4 front bumper, euro rear, and CF trunk.) There aren't many casa 6-speed cars still around and there's virtually zero with low miles (and if there are, they aren't for sale.)

If you have any interest in purchasing my car complete (no I will not part out anything) than please DO NOT PM me nor reply here in this thread. Serious buyers with cash in hand (you don't get financing on a car like this) should contact me via email at jibberjive at aol.com. I won't be posting a price here because I don't want any comments about the possible sale or anything to do with the sale, positive or negative, cluttering this thread because I'm still going to be completing the build and updating the thread. There's also a good chance that it doesn't sell before I complete it and keep it, so I don't want to divebomb this thread. Pretend like nothing happened[>_<]