Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking at buying a used A6 what should I look out for?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 08:26 PM
1st Gear
Default Looking at buying a used A6 what should I look out for?

Newbie here just looking for some general advice on what to keep my eyes open for on a used A6. 2001-2003 so far 4.2, auto.... Should I buy an extended warrantee from warrantydirect.com?

Any thought / advice would be welcome.

Thanks!

Old 12-13-2007, 08:45 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Looking at buying a used A6 what should I look out for?

Try this...
https://www.audiforums.com/m_734968/tm.htm

Old 12-13-2007, 11:43 PM

I think a warranty is always a good idea. Theres a lot of chatter going on in the link that Coors listed. Bottomline, if you are looking at an A6, the 4.2 is a good choice IMO.

Old 12-14-2007, 05:06 AM
1st Gear

2.7T isn’t too bad either. The 3.0 is worthless unless you want a touring vehicle. It just doesn’t have the pep that the 4.2 or 2.7t has. If you find one that’s Audi certified then you can get a 100k warranty from them. I have that and have used it once since the original 50k warranty ran out. Typically it’s a 50 dollar copay but considering all the work that can be done on a single ticket/trip, 50 dollars to replace an engine or a turbo isn’t bad at all. The only thing about the Audi warranty is that there isn’t an extensive list that the customer can have regarding what is and isn’t covered. It's kind of like playing Russian roulette. You don’t know whether or not it’s covered until you pay the 50 dollars and get the report back from the service tech. However most things are covered and on occasion there is stuff covered that doesn’t even cost you the 50 dollars. The last trip I took to the garage was free and it was for a totally flooded rear floorboard. Turned out to be some sort of pump that had became clogged but since it was a factory defect Audi took care of it outside of the extended warranty for free. You can’t beat that. If you can find your car with fewer then 50k miles then jump on it even if it’s more dough. The original 50k warranty is the bomb and covers everything except oil changes and fuel in your tank. Just before mine ran out, I had them replace the brakes and the rotors for good measure. Yes Sir, No problem Sir, have a nice day Sir. Timing belts are a big deal on these Audi's which is a pretty expensive projectand is covered under warranty so be sure to get one.

As to the car itself, I can’t tell you which to get. I wish I had the money to test drive the 4.2 but it was several thousand more than the 2.7t. So I didn’t even bother to look at them. I can tell you this though. If you do go with the 2.7t, be sure and get the GIAC chip upgrade. It's about 700 installed and its good for about 80 additional horsepower and that’s no joke. It also changes some of the shift points and extends the redline about 500 rpm's. It's worth the money and would seriously give that 4.2 a run for the money. Other things to consider, certain Audi models are 4 wheel drive others are not. The 4x4's although nice for cornering and weather have a 20 percent or greater power loss to the wheel. Auto's have this same issue. If you don’t intend to get heavy on the peddle then neither of these things should be a consideration. In my case I wish I had gone with a nonquatro and a stick but there was no way for me to know that at the time. Little did I know that once I started to drive at speeds in excess of 135 miles an hour that I would want to go faster. At this time though I am simply too afraid to take the car to its top end. We don’t have the roads for it in my area and my tires aren’t rated for these kinds of speeds.

Welcome to the Audi universe though. They are superb automobiles and very uncommon. I like that the most. I don’t know anyone with an Audi and even the ones I see on the street are mostly A4's or TT's. Driving anything other than those 2 cars in my opinion is an automatic coolness boost. I get tons of comments even after owning the car for a couple of years now. Plus they are timeless. You’re thinking right about wanting a 5 or 6 year old car. They don’t change the body style enough for anyone but a true fanatic to see the differences so just about any Audi made in the last 10 years looks like it’s a brand new one.