General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Buying Used

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 12:13 PM
Default Buying Used

I did read through the A6 Forumpost's but wanted to ask a few specific questions without dedicating my entire work day to google"ing" everything.

I am looking to buy a newer more dependable car than the one I bought my senior year in high school for a measly 2k. It was a 2001 Daewoo Nubira with 40kmilesand if I had any other fuel efficient way of getting to and fro, I would have ran it into the ocean within the first year of owning it. I am trying to get away from weekly repair and maintenance. I do not mind monthly maintenance and the oil change as I am a DIY person when it comes to fixing things.

IN SHORT:

I WANT A MORE DEPENDABLE, BETTER BUILT, AND RELIABLE CAR BUT CAN NOT AFFORD A BRAND NEW ONE YET

I am a pretty firm believer in "you get what you pay for" and "Buy the best and you only cry once"

That being said I can not afford the best obviously, but I want opinions, resources, and any info that you think might help me get the right vehicle to suit my needs.

I do not "dog" my vehicles. Only time I go pedal to metal is merging on and off of interstate and even then only if absolutely necessary...

I have been looking for a 2000-2002 Audi A6 and found a few with miles ranging 65k-100k ranging from 8,500-13,000 dollars.

Alternate models or even car makes is also welcome, I am not looking for a "Steal of a deal", but something that is fair to me and my paycheck and something that I do not have to worry about when I decide to make the 150ish mile trip to Gainesville from Tampa a couple times a year.

Thank you kindly for your time!

Old 12-18-2007, 11:19 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Buying Used

Welcome to the forum. I'm not really sure what your question is. For the most part the people you'll find here love their Audi automobiles and would recommend them to anyone that asks. It sounds like you've decided that the A6 is the right model for you. My recommendation would be tofind a clean car that has a good combination of price/miles and go for it. Obviously higher mileage is going to cost less money up front but it also may mean more $ in repairs during your ownership of the car.

Good luck.

Old 12-19-2007, 10:36 AM

Tahnk you very much for all your information and your best wishes.

In a nutshell I am looking for things like:

Common problems with the 2.8Q or the 2.7T Q and such...

Like I know that my daewoo model and year is notorious for the control arm bushings & ball joint going bad...

Thanks and

FYI

I am really eyeballing the 2002 2.8 Q & 2.7Bi-Turbo Q I have found several for under 11k with less than 90k miles.

Thanks!!

Old 12-20-2007, 06:16 PM

I just bought a '98 2.8 Q wagon with 118k on the clock. $5k. I drove an '01 Turbo Allroad with 84k and while I liked the triptronic I did not like the turbo lag. I don't know how old you are but auto insurance (for some unknown reason) seems to escalate with a turbo.
I had an '88 A80 with 220k and the car was a wonder - tight, still ran like a top. Sold it for twice what I paid for it.
I'm guessing the turbos get driven harder. If you had hills or were at altitude I'd guess it might become more important but the drive you mentioned doesn't sound too taxing. Either way you go you can't really go wrong.