Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lifters making clicking sound

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 10:21 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Lifters making clicking sound

Hello everybody, i would buy sea foam in this weekend and change the oil, with a 16oz bottle is enough?.

My mechanic states that my car does not have sludge cause he took the valve cover and saw that the engine and head are very very clean, could be that the sludge be more below?. I suspect it could have sludge from what i have been reading lately from you here in this post. When i purchased the car on february the car was leaking bad from the turbo and had to clean the turbo, this could have been caused by the sludge right?.
Also i changed the oil on august to full synthetic and changed it back on the last week of november and it was very dirty, like i said before i dont use the car that much, i put on like 1,000 miles aprox in those 3 months.

I have not used the car lately cause i had hip surgery on the first week of december and my girlfriend has been the one using it for the last couple of weeks, she says the other day she saw blue smoke coming from the exhaust, i had never saw that, the car runs fine and does not idle yet, the blue smoke also could be from the sludge?.

Im thinking of doing the oil exchange in next week, this weekend ill purchase the sea foam and the new oil, i put on valvoline 20w 50 Full synthetic, I live in southern california, do you suggest this same oil or a change is recommended?.

I got a little confused about sea foam, what is best?, to put the sea foam and let it run for 20 minutes and then exchange the oil, or put it for 100 miles and then exchange to new oil?.

Many thanks you have been of all the great help

Old 01-17-2007, 10:33 PM
2nd Gear

Sludge would be present everwhere if the motor had sludge. The turbo was probably leaking oil and that would have nothing to do with sludge just worn out seals. The smoke your girlfriend saw must be blueish in color to indicate sludge or burning oil, the only way to be absolutely certain of sludge is to pull the valve cover off to check for buildup. If she acutually did see blue smoke you are burning oil and that can happen from a number of different situations. Audi recommends 5w40 sythetic in your car and climate, that's what you should use. Sea foam will have directions on the back of the can/bottle explaining how to use it, I let it idle.

Old 01-17-2007, 10:43 PM
1st Gear

If he said it was clean I would say just to leave it alone and dont waste your time... Engines make noise, there are a lot of moving parts, motor mounts go bad, it will make noise... When the noise becomes loud is when a problem is occuring...

SMo'

Old 01-17-2007, 10:50 PM
2nd Gear

I still don't see why it would have not started till the battery was installed. If I were you I would just change the oil with a 5w40 synthetic. With 20w50 you may not be getting good enough oil flow through the lifters.

Old 01-18-2007, 12:44 AM
1st Gear

A thicker oil is suppose to flow better through the lifters? I am new to Audi's but I would imagine that a thicker oil would flow worse through smaller areas...

I would say run 3,000 miles with some Shell full synthetic then switch to either Valvoline or Castrol (full synthetic)and see if things quiet down...

SMo'

Old 01-18-2007, 02:35 AM
2nd Gear

SMo' he has been using 20w50. I said he needs to switch to 5w40. 20w would be thicker than 5w and you are correct thicker would decrease oil flow through the lifters.